LBC

reef junkie
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from water parameters (ie, calcium, magnesium, strontium, pH, temp etc), what about getting diverse corallines onto today's barren 'premium' 'select' 'ultra' etc bulk box rock that is arriving quite dry and no viable coralline to be grown?

Where to get green, orange, yellow corallines that nowadays seem extinct from boasted 'colorful' live rock of today?

I do remember years back, the guy from thesea.org was planning to propagate various colors of coraline (seed rock?) but to date, so no such offerings anywheres online and after touring lfs have yet to find anything but purple, not that theres much of that on the rock for sale nowadays either.

So, is it possible, and how? Or, is it hopeless having diverse colors on rock just from corallines? :banghead:

CorallineAlgae.jpg

lobovah.jpg

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I don't recall anyone offering them for sale here.
Best bet is to keep an eye out when in LFS's and ask about getting some shavings from the rock to seed your tank.
You might consider joining a club or internet site out in CA so you can ask local people if they have any growing in their tanks. You're kinda far for our members..lol

LBC

reef junkie
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Kathy! I'll keep looking at LFS as well as for a more local reefer community.. thought reefs.com would be all-inclusive :)

In the mean time, its fun just to admire these awesome different colors than purple.

It would though be such an awesome livestock product for the industry now considering most premium live rock is coming in with little/no coraline as compared to how it used to be just a decade ago. :(

LBC

reef junkie
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa, OnIt, branching coralline? Who knew? I've seen it mound into tables like encrusting montipora, but not form erect, sturdy branches or anything!

Will definitely try it out, if I can find out where they ship from since its winter for you guys in cold states/areas.

The 2nd link, how come there's no pic of it? =/

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I have this discoloration on one of my frag plugs that looks like bright orange rust stains. It is a plug where a snail knocked the polyp off. I kept it in my tank not sure if it is coraline or a stain of some sort.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: