thezar77

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I know you guys can help me out with this!!!!! I just installed my bulkheads on my overflow (drilled 75 gallon) and it seems to be leaking from inside the bulkhead on the return line. Is this ok ? If not how can I fix. (Leaking very slow a drip every few minutes). I hand tightened them no wrench. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance guys and gals.

thezar77

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the gasket inside the tank under the bulkhead. Can you take a close up picture of the bulkhead please and post it on here.

Yeah gasket is fine. Can't take a pic now. I stayed under the bulkhead with a flashlight for like five minutes. I watched drip out from the inside. The outside is completely dry. It is an extremely small drip

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
The bulkhead isn't leaking it's where the return pipe in the overflow goes into the bulkhead. It just slides in its not threaded.

If it's not threaded, then it should be glued or siliconed to prevent a leak, outside the tank...you can't trust them to stay together, if it 'just slides in'

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I was thinking that also. You mean the purple primer and that glue right? My only thing is I'm not sure how that works if you need to replace a bulkhead though. Anyone have any thought on this?

yes and if you need to replace it you will need a new one. other wise use a threaded bulk head. i used primer and cement, don't know if its correct method. but its not leaking.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I guess if I put unions after the bulkhead I can still replace the bulkheads and all I will have to rebuild is the plumbing kit on top. Right?

for now i would just glue it, if you need to change the bulk head in the future, then you can put a union. i don't see any reason to add a union now.
i glued mine with the same intentions, if i have to cut the plumbing in the future, then i'll add unions.

thezar77

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for now i would just glue it, if you need to change the bulk head in the future, then you can put a union. i don't see any reason to add a union now.
i glued mine with the same intentions, if i have to cut the plumbing in the future, then i'll add unions.

Thanks for all the great advice guys.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: