Pimentinha

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Chaeto will need light, so back of the filter won't work well IMO.
Why bio balls? For filtration? If so, I would just focus on more live rock. That will be your primarily source of filtration. Bio balls, if not cleaned frequently will become a nitrate factory. Which is really bad when it comes to keeping corals...

watevadog5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Ok, I took off the bio wheel. I have what I would assume is a stock filter pad in the filter w I guess it's charcoal inside. Again I'm very new to this. I also have 10 bio balls. I read it will hold bacteria on its surface area to help cycle. As for corals that is what seems like light years away. I'll also mention I have roughly 20-30 lbs of rock in the tank. It was in the previous owners set up but when I got it, it was covered in slime and smelled to the high heaven. I rinsed, did a quick bleach dip ( very diluted) rinsed again n let Sun dry. Am I somewhat on the right track?

watevadog5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Media bag of some sort. Came w set up, any help id'ing? I know it's a shot in the dark.

Attachments

• 0615142037a.jpg
    0615142037a.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 0615142037.jpg
    0615142037.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 113

Pimentinha

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
That replaces bio balls. It's just something where bacteria will attach to and reproduce. Very good stuff. I never replace that. I'm assuming you didn't cure the rock after you "killed it"... That's another recipe for disaster. All the living things inside the rock died and once put back inside the water will start decomposing. You might want to check phosphates. That's "food" for algae and Cyanobacteria. Water changes and some chaeto will help. Blow your rocks with a turkey Baster as much as you can. Vacuum up all the detritus that falls off the rock.

Corals always seem light years away... Next thing you know your wife is chasing you down because you are spending money on corals instead of buying her shoes...

Pimentinha

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Curing rock is simple. Place it in a container with RODI water and a powerhead. Every day or so take phosphate test and see if you have any. If the rock is leaching phosphates do water changes. Your rock looks pretty white though. Which is a good thing.

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
In order for your tank to process and get to a balanced state you may encounter some thing like algae or cyano, it is an ongoing effort to keep a reef tank once you know what you want that tank to look like! Be patient and let it cure and cycle on its own, you won't regret it, everyday is a step in the right direction.

Remember we are all here for ya.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: