mfs1855

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can offer some advice.

I bought a bunch of frags at the swap a few months back. The Zoas, Green Psammocora and Leather seams to be doing well but the rest (Orange Cap, Candycane, and Acans) are slowly turning white and or loosing tissue.

These are my stats:
60 gallon cube
Temp 78 (steady)
skimmer
Phosphates - 0
Nitrates - 0
Nitrites - 0
Ammonia - 0
pH - 8.4 or higher (hard to tell from the test kit)
dKA - 9
Calcium - 390
Salinity 1.025
Flow - 1 Jebao WP-25
Lighting - LEDs - Blue and white on for about 8 hours a day. I have the frags on a rack about 6 inches from the surface and the lights at about 70 percent power.
Feeding - I have Reef Chili but the corals aren't really opening so I haven't been feeding much.
Dosing - I recently (past week) started the BRS 2 part dosing at 5 ml a day of Calcium and Alkalinity.

I also picked up a GSP at the swap and it opened for about 5 days but has been closed for the past month and a half.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Can you post pics of this led setup and your tank?

Also as duke said what test kits are you using?

I think a major problem is your lighting (70% is very strong) but lets see and hear about your tank some more ;)

Are you using a refractometer?

If your GSP is dying out you have a lighting issue or a chemical issue, it would be my best guess.... Also remember this is without knowing everything else :)

Last edited:

Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
I agree with the light theory as well. Possibly to intense for those types of coral.

Another possible issue, if your tests are accurate, is the tank maybe to clean.

Full tank shot would help as well.

Do you run any phosphate binders?

SI REEF

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.5%
63   3   0
6" from the surface seems way too close. Especially for acans and new frags. Gotta acclimate any new frag. I would also invest in salifert or equal test kits. Test kits are cheaper then losing your frags.

mfs1855

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Thanks for the input. I don't think my tank is super clean, I have some diatom growing on the glass and some other very slight algae growing in the overflow.

I'm not using any phosban, etc. but I'll definitely get some better test kits.

mfs1855

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
These are some pics of my setup and the dying frags.

Tank Setup (Light is 13 inches above water line and 17 inches above frags)
The lights are 165w 90 degree LEDs
eiuxsk.jpg

Frags:
a2sok2.jpg

scvxh1.jpg

2qteoao.jpg

Thanks,

Matt

Last edited:

TonyHNY

Back from a break
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Also, are you sure 5ml of the BRS meets your demand? I have 80gal and I dose over 140 mls a day (I have mostly LPS and very few SPSs ) in my tank. Because I feed my fish everyday, I KNOW for sure I have phosphates in my tank which I have to keep it below 0.5 ppm(not sure about the units but I use the Hanna checker) or else everything looks crappy in my tank.
When all fails, it always help to do a water change and run some carbon.....

TonyHNY

Back from a break
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I hope your LFS is using a Hanna Checker or something better for phosphates. Otherwise those API, Salifert, or seachem always give me a zero reading while the Hanna gives me a 0.2ppm....
Your current Alk and CA readings shouldn't present a problem as severe as what you are showing in your pics.

mfs1855

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Thanks, I just started the 2 part dosing and they indicated .1 ml of calcium and alkalinity per gallon. That being said, I'm still checking the levels daily to see where I need to be.

I have a small amount of fish (1 tang, 3 damsels and 1 flame angel) and 2 anemones. I only feed the fish a minimal amount once a day (sea weed, or mysis (drained first))

I'll get some carbon when I get the water tested at the LFS.

Thanks!

Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Depending on your chemical demand, you maybe able to bring the levels to the right spot with a water change.

Keep it at those stable levels with kalk in your ato.

Keeps your system consistent until two part is needed.

What salt are you using? I may have mussed that.

I personally started kalk. Right off the bat. I only had to increase my alk a bit, as I wanted it higher then Red sea coral pro was giving me.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: