mfs1855

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I bought the tank from someone who probably had it up for 2 years. About 4 months ago I moved it (water and all) to a new location). It went through a small cycle at that point and I've had 0 nitrates and nitrites on the API test kit since the cycle ended.

Nandez13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
246   0   0
yes, the low magnesium level may be contributing to the problem. Elevated levels of Mg are needed so that you can maintain the required levels of CA and Alk stabalized. You should raise your Mag to around 1200-1400 range. I wouldn't raise it more than 100 ppm per day. Once your Mag is where it's supposed to be then I would continue trying to adjust your Alk

mfs1855

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
So I should stop adding calcium and alkalinity completely until the magnesium is up? Would this cause the alk and calcium to drop again and thus cause more damage?

Btw, I do a 10% water change each week with Red Sea pro and 0 TDS RO/DI and just did a 20% percent. I would have assumed that this particular salt would keep the magnesium up but apparently not.

Thanks for the great advice!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: