edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
don't use window screen, the holes are too small and will filter out a lot of light. use the clear plastic as cmantis recommended. the holes are 1/4" so won't affect your light.

oro50

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a metal screen. One big reason why not to use a metal screen is the filters your using when it brings oxygen from above into your water, over time touching this metal possible will make that section of the screen rust.
Rust or Iron oxide Fe, is very dangerous for fish and other invertebrates.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Don't see how an egg crate is blocking more light then a screen would but yea works pretty good for me.. I actually kept lights on with nothing on top took a pic then put the black crates on and was exactly the same.. Any kind or metal material over time will start to pit out or rot and that Prob wouldn't be so good if little pieces of aluminum r rotting away in your water colume.. I'm sure u have a ton more exsperince then I do but in my opinion plastic over Mateo near water any day!!

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Where is aluminum pitting and rotting away in the water column. Eggcrate has been proven to block out alot of light. The correct way is to use either acrylic or aluminum (which does not PIT) with clear mesh. But if it works for you good luck.... Had the same aluminum frame for over 2 years nothing is wrong with it at all ;)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Not arguing or being uptight (this is a hobby) buddy :). just posting what really happens with eggcrate. Par values and light distribution will be less with egg crate. The mesh allows more light to penetrate into the tank

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Kelogz08 I'm sure you'll be happy with the egg crates.. Would be cool if someone that has a par meter and would check to see how much light either one blocks!! Plus in my set up my auto feeder sits onto of the egg crate where a screen would sag over time..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: