Vwcrakerjack

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was on the Manhattan reefs forum over 10 years ago also on other popular forums. I never really had any large tanks 55,40,20,10,5. I believe I was among some of the first group of people who started doing nano reefs or at least when it started becoming popular and it was like taboo since so many things could go wrong with such a small amount of water. At any rate I had a pretty successful desktop 5 gallon tank mostly sps and a small Croatia clam (I believe) and a home made fuge(learned how to work with acrylics to make things that weren't readily available) which was about a 4-5 gallon hang on back with a top off and I ran a 150 watt hqi over it. Eventually work and kids got into the mix and well... Tank had to go. I always said I would wait until I had a better space to set up a nice big reef tank some day like over 100g. Now fast forward some years and I'm still living in the same place with no intentions of doing any tanks until my good friend calls me one day and informs me that he's now the proud owner of a 29g reef tank and we start talking and one day after fishing together I decide to have a look and wouldn't ya know it. The whole hobby has changed dramatically. I was blown away by the advances in technology and led lights etc. anyway. I was twice bitten and in the past week I've bought a 50 gallon rimless cube tank a sump skimmer lights all the test kits and I also picked up a doser.(the days of using diy IV bags from the hospital are over I guess). I also picked up a Neptune controller with probes. In the weeks to follow will be fixing damage from a leak that occurred in my home and will take this opportunity to add some outlets and build a stand for the tank and make an area dedicated to the reef. I couldn't really go too big as if I was going to do that I would want a fish room area for water and equipment however I think with the 50 cube I can make something great and get back into this again. I've been trolling around for a bit since seeing my friends tank and I suppose this would be my formal introduction. I've read quite a bit of stuff and am extremely excited to start the build. I will start posting up some pics as I get things progressing.

Vwcrakerjack

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All items will be shipped today. So I'm excited to get things started. Now I just have to get time to run the electrical and Ethernet cable for the apex system and patch up the walls. Then I have to build the stand. I'm debating what to use to build the stand with. A customer had some boxes of redwood 3/4 flooring leftover and offered it to me so I may use that. I'll post pictures of the progress as it unfolds. Anyone have any recommendations for live rock? I really don't want to invite a host of problems so I don't want to buy from any of the stores around here.

Vwcrakerjack

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 8pm. Worked all day and got home to a notice on door. Nobody was home to get my packages from Aquacave. So u know where I am. Sitting in front of ups waiting for the truck to get back. :) I think u could say I've officially been brought back into the reef world obsession.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: