upgrading tank

joey3233

Manhattan Reefs
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
i had a 30 last night i brought a 65 now i want to know what the best way to transfer the fish to the new tank cause when i first started up i let the tank run empty for a month but i don't have room to storage both tanks running

joey3233

Manhattan Reefs
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
i got a ro/di unit for new water
any one can advise the best way to do this should i used the old water in the 30 and add 35 new ro/di water salt mix or start with all new water or should i put the old 30 gallons in and add 10 new gallons wait a week add 10 more a week till it is full

theMeat

Manhattan Reefs
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
You can't safely put the fish in the new tank until it cycles. You can speed the cycle along in many ways. It's also not a good idea to put a bunch of fish into a tank all at once, especially a new tank.

kenconnect

KenConnect
Manhattan Reefs
Rating - 100%
141   0   0
I done this with no loss when I upgraded from my 57 gallon to my 100 gallon .. you can use all the water from your 30 with the freshly made salt mix. just make sure to aqua mate the fish

joey3233

Manhattan Reefs
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
thanks everyone i did the upgrade everything seems fine and well all fish look like there are doing good and 2 out of the three anomone's are looking good but the purple haitain isn't looking too good

joey3233

Manhattan Reefs
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Everything surviving but have a massive algae problem brown algae on the glass and blackish greenish algae on the rocks and sand

Loose tenticle

Manhattan Reefs
Rating - 100%
36   0   1
Ive upgraded from a 57 gallon to a 75 gallon, just use the same live rock and water just be sure to have enough water for the bigger tank made and around the same temp you keep the water at normally. Get new sand so you don't stir up detritus. Keep the fish in a Rubbermaid container over night with a wave maker and heater until the sand and tank settle then acclimate slowly.

Loose tenticle

Manhattan Reefs
Rating - 100%
36   0   1
The dark algae could be from not enough water movement. Brown algae could be from high phosphates, did you check your membranes and cartridges in the RO or could be too much light.

Al Ulrich

Manhattan Reefs
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there might be an underlying issue fueling the growth of the algae--something is 'fertilizing' the algae. Would be good if you could ID the nutrient and stop it

ReefRiverine

Manhattan Reefs
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you still have that algea problem, i bought a phosphate reactor with phosguard and it took care of my algea problem real quick. maybe invest in one if you have the money and space