80 Gallon Mixed Reef - Reefs.com

Home  / Forums  / Global Forums  / Reefs for Beginners  /  80 Gallon Mixed Reef
Reply
FelisMaximus is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 15
80 Gallon Mixed Reef
04-02-2017, 01:43 AM
  #1  
So, I've been reefing for about two years now. Started off small with a 29 gallon, moved onto 40 breeder and now I am looking to take the next step with an 80 gallon mixed reef.

Here is the build:

Deep Blue Reef Ready 80 Gallon Frag Tank (48X24X16) with 40 Breeder Sump
2 Kessil A360W-E LEDs with Spectral Controller
Reef Octopus Classic 150 INT Skimmer
Reef Octopus Varios-4 Return Pump
BRS Dual Media Reactor with MJ1200 Pump
Tunze Osmolator
2 Aqueon Pro 200 Heaters
Wavepoint Microsun 12" Refugium LED

40lbs dry Pukani
10lbs dry Tonga Shelf
10 lbs dry Tonga Branch
80lbs Arag-Alive Sand for a 3" sand bed

Stand and canopy will be custom made by yours truly.

What do you think?
Am I forgetting something?
 
lskywalker5 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 260
04-02-2017, 01:59 PM
  #2  
I've never owned a kessil, but it seems like more of a spotlight then a light. I would swap that out for a nice ATI fixture . What will you be running in the reactors? I would make sure to atleast scrub the dry rock before you add it.
 
FelisMaximus is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 15
04-02-2017, 03:11 PM
  #3  
Quote:
Originally Posted by lskywalker5 View Post
I've never owned a kessil, but it seems like more of a spotlight then a light. I would swap that out for a nice ATI fixture . What will you be running in the reactors? I would make sure to atleast scrub the dry rock before you add it.
Well, I've seen Kessils in action and they can cover 24x24" area without a problem, when mounted high enough. They also give you an amazing shimmer, rivaled only by metal halides. Granted to get this coverage I'll have to hang them about 18" above the water surface and might have to compensate for lost intensity with T5's.

I'll be running carbon and GFO media in reactors.

Dry rock will be cured for 6 weeks, prior to tank cycle.
 
FelisMaximus is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 15
04-02-2017, 03:12 PM
  #4  
Forgot to add that I'll also be running Maxspect Gyre XF250 hooked up to Maxspect Gyre Controller.
 
noelskii's Avatar
noelskii is offline
MemBiZzLe.
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,062
04-05-2017, 02:59 PM
  #5  
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelisMaximus View Post
Forgot to add that I'll also be running Maxspect Gyre XF250 hooked up to Maxspect Gyre Controller.
I have this same exact setup! Maxspect Gyre XF250 paired with a Maxspect Gyre Controller!

I also have a Kessil 360WE on my 60 cube. Its only about 6" or less above water, yours shouldn't have to be 18" above since it's only 16" deep...
__________________
reef reef

<-click


 
Reef Trends's Avatar
Reef Trends is online now
www.reeftrends.com
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 831
04-05-2017, 10:43 PM
  #6  
Imo you should go shallower with the sand bed. It wont help being 'deeper' and over time will look bad.
__________________


Reef Trends
Aquarium Solution Services
707-666-FISH
 
FelisMaximus is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 15
04-06-2017, 01:37 AM
  #7  
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelskii View Post
I have this same exact setup! Maxspect Gyre XF250 paired with a Maxspect Gyre Controller!

I also have a Kessil 360WE on my 60 cube. Its only about 6" or less above water, yours shouldn't have to be 18" above since it's only 16" deep...
What parameters does your 60 cube have? Height and depth?
 
FelisMaximus is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 15
04-06-2017, 01:40 AM
  #8  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Trends View Post
Imo you should go shallower with the sand bed. It wont help being 'deeper' and over time will look bad.
I am thinking about putting a Hoeven's Wrasse in this tank. Hence - 3" sandbed.
 
noelskii's Avatar
noelskii is offline
MemBiZzLe.
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,062
04-06-2017, 09:59 AM
  #9  
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelisMaximus View Post
What parameters does your 60 cube have? Height and depth?
24" Cube
__________________
reef reef

<-click


 
FelisMaximus is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 15
04-06-2017, 03:39 PM
  #10  
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelskii View Post
24" Cube
And a single 360W covers entire 24X24 area? Nice
 

Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes