Hermit Crab Tank?!? - Reefs.com

Home  / Forums  / Global Forums  / Reefs for Beginners  /  Hermit Crab Tank?!?
Hermit Crab Tank?!?
04-05-2017, 02:00 PM
So have a 75 FOWLR and a 12g nano that each have their share of CUC in them (mostly snails/hermits). In my 12g it's almost impossible for me to not see my hermits scurry across the sand or act out a scene from Cliffhanger on the rockwork and almost everyone finds them interesting.

Has anyone ever tried to make a "basic" setup with like a HOB/small canister filter with just some crabs or similar in there? Don't want to get a petshop hermit that isn't in the water a majority of the time and they appear to be quite high maintenance when it comes to food/environment (not that anything saltwater really isn't but you get the point).

With the $1/gallon sale running I figured maybe I would grab a 10g and try making some sort of small yet entertaining playground for our shelled friends. Anyone ever try it?

04-05-2017, 03:13 PM
For many years I kept a tank like that, but I collected everything here on Long Island. There are shrimp, crabs, snails, barnacles, butterfly fish, amphipods, pipefish, eels, horseshoe crabs etc.

04-05-2017, 04:19 PM
Out of all people I should have know you to have a tank like this! (in a good way of course) Was this run independently from your other tanks? Want to keep it as kind of a dedicated tank (almost as a gift even as my mother-in-law finds them the most interesting). Figured mabye a little bit of a sand bed, some rocks etc for them to climb on and such, nothing crazy.

Any recommendations on simple lighting? Filtration? Feeding?

Dre
04-05-2017, 05:17 PM
Do hermits kill each other?

04-05-2017, 05:26 PM
No, they don't unless you have very small ones with real large ones, then they may pull them out of the shell when they molt