Algae outbreak - Reefs.com

Home  / Forums  / Global Forums  / Reefs for Beginners  /  Algae outbreak
Algae outbreak
04-20-2017, 12:05 AM
Massive algae outbreak
Check this video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hc999e4917...54.35.mp4?dl=0
Maybe someone can help ID? I did search around and nothing is similar to what I have.
I know that it starts growing after I increase the Blue from 32% to 70% within 48 hours. Maybe I need to blackout for 2-3 days?
Corals look better- mushrooms, Pulsing Xenia (start pulsing, never pulsed in this tank), dead/ bleached SPS start showing live ! But algae grows everywhere
Water chemistry is good, no major changes.
Tank is running from 9/16.

Thanks,
Aram

04-20-2017, 09:05 AM
have you checked your po4 some readings would be helpfull start doing some major water changes corals can survive a high phosphate but get chocked by algae

04-20-2017, 09:51 AM
I love turbo snails and phospate reactors. I know I over feed my fish

04-20-2017, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by salpet View Post
have you checked your po4 some readings would be helpfull start doing some major water changes corals can survive a high phosphate but get chocked by algae
Thanks, will check tonight again, I did check 2 weeks ago and it was 0

04-20-2017, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
I love turbo snails and phospate reactors. I know I over feed my fish
Will look in to getting some Turbo snails
All I have is 2 shrimps, 3-4 hermit crabs and 3 small snails

Thanks
Aram

04-20-2017, 05:37 PM
So, algae needs light and nutrients to grow. Kill the lights for a few days and either dont feed the tank at all, or at a bare minimum.

04-29-2017, 06:06 PM
What kind of light is on there? Can you take a pic or video with more a more natural color or white, so we can see what color the algae is.

Is it fuzzy, stringy, leafy..? The more accurate description u can give will better help identify it and hopefully resolve it.

U said it appeared after a lighting change? How long after?

Do u have any kind of chemical filtration in there? Chemipure blue, phosgard or something similar?

Dre
04-29-2017, 09:05 PM
Yeah, what color algae? Cut back on the intensity and the day length will help. You may have to get to it with a brush?

04-29-2017, 10:38 PM
Sorry im asking alot of questions but unfortunately the answer to whats causing the algae isnt always very apparent and sometimes its a combination of things.

I looked at the video again on a bigger screen...there seems to be alot of coralline in the tank. Are you using any kind of purple up or coralline algae accellerator? What else may you be dosing or adding to the tank that would make the water nutrient rich?

As you have seen the bad things in reef tanks happen very quickly and reversing the effects can take days or weeks, so the more you can narrow down the problem and correct it, the less severe the problem will become.

04-30-2017, 11:24 AM
Thanks everybody for all this ideas, here is one more video (sorry sideways)
Will take another one today with regular light:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kiipt96dpo...20851.mp4?dl=0

Since then I turn the light fixture (Maxspect R420R) off for 3 days.
During that time I did one scheduled WC.

Algae is white color, at the beginning it was so fine so on the touch you will not even feel it. Today it feels like a slime.

It start growing after I change the "Blue" level from 30% (on the max) to
70% (on the max) within 24 hours (I guess not long enough stretch), and algae start growing after 48 hours.

After blackout it turn brown, some rocks I removed and left the on the deck to dry, coral plugs transferred on other rocks and now I have to rescape all over again
and using toothbrush to clean it off.

I don't feed my reef, since everything I have is photosynthetic. Sometimes (once a week) I add some Reef Chili

Also I don't have chemical filtration. Overflow -> 10micron sock-> vertex omega 150-> return pump

Turbo snail did not like it