Iseayu

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I currently have a 150g 72" tank with a decent amount of live rock. I'd say 200lbs. Climbing from a fowlr to a reef. I'm not too pleased with my current aquascaping. Do most reefers prefer smaller rock pieces or larger rock pieces for desirable aquascaping. I think the larger pieces are kind of getting on my nerves but I'm scared to try to remove them or attempt to scale them down. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
If the big rocks are unmanageable, break them :)

For a reef tank, it is important to have plenty of hiding places for fish and plenty of places to put coral. I forgot to make ledges in my tank, and I have to do some serious gluing to get everything to stay put.

Also, if you need ideas, ratemyfishtank.com is a good place to see a lot of tanks quickly. Some of them have good aquascaping. You can print out a few pics to give you a general idea, and the rocks will dictate the rest!

Some of our MR members have really spectacular scaping so definitely looks at the tank threads!!!

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
imo it's a double edge sword. The larger pieces tend to look nicer, but the smaller pieces are easier to work with.

Pauper

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Aquascape

I keep large ones at the bottom as well but when I upgraded tanks a few weeks ago I cut down the amount of rock condiderably. Made my aquascape look better and made it more manageable.

saltycreefer

Creefmaster
Rating - 85.7%
6   1   0
Here's an aquascape I was working on today. The tank is 31''l x23''w x36''h.
gsheilds009.jpg

PalmTree

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I think aquascaping is whatever you think looks nice and offers maximum function. I have ledges and caves and stuff and after a while it all kind of settled. I'd love to go in there and redo everything but I know its going to be such a pain.

leoskee

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Dude, you have excellent pieces of LR. Think of them as pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. Play around with them and try to find places that they fit into each other. I like to drain half of the water out of my tank when I do my aquascaping. Some people like to set up their rocks outside of the tank and then try to move the rock piece by piece to get the same design inside of the tank.

Good luck. Keep us posted with;

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: