_Adrian_

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok ...
Mr. X has been messing with my head and after a couple of hours a surfing i found some really cheap magnetic balasts !!!

now .. i am completely and uterly confused when it comes to MH lights!
i seen pulse start balasts and noticed the Ushio bulbs require that.

so my question is ... what is a good and cheap bulb ( wow ... its like saying a cheap ferrari.. LOL ) that is readily available and also which one is better double ended or mogul socketed ???
i mean when you look at all the options and all the posibilities its starts just to exponenetially grow!

im just wondering what ppl opinions are on this subject.
(mainly browsing hellolights right now)

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm sorry. i don't want to get you confused. but i'm really not sure what i said that was confusing.
single ended bulbs are better, unless you have a space issue.
type in "metal halide lamps" in the search on ebay. you'll find many sources for cheap bulbs.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to deal with my lighting on a component level. I'm not electrical savy, plus the risk on having one of my DIY electrical things next to saltwater just gives me the shivers. So unless you are reall confident in your electrical skills I would look at buying components (ballast, reflector, lamp etc)

As far as cheap bulbs, be ware what you buy off e-bay. Inless you know what youare looking for you may get a bad deal or end up with some bulb that is non-reef friendly.

Personally I don't think a mogule is better than a DE. They are just different. I run DE's because I like the compact reflectors. That allowed me to keep my camopy short.

What wattage and color temp bulbs are you looking for? In my tank I run 250 watt 10K bulbs and I can get them for $65 from the standard online fish shops.

When you start shopping only by price just remember that more often than not you get what you pay for. Advaice from somoen who did just that on his first tank and ended up replacing every component except for the tank and stand. Best advice is to get good gear the first time, because if you don't you will be replacing it.

_Adrian_

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you didnt confuse me ...
you opened my eyes :)

actually... after seeig how you built yours.. had the inspiration to look and see if i can find something that i can do myself... so after a brief look i found a couple of magnetic balasts in the range of 150-175W for under $75 Each !!!

my fixture would have been $750
yesterday i was browsing superpets here in town and they have Prewired T5 HO (40wx2) electronic balasts with the waterproof encaps at a mere $60 !

so quick math...
2 x $75 (MH balasts)
2 x $60 (1 actinic & 1 50/50)
1 x $80 (48" lunar led lights)
_______
$350 - Total

hmmm .. thats $400 short ... i think for $400 i can build a really nice hood :)
besides my dad is a milwright in one of the local stamping shops... i will have him bend me up a nice mirror, send it with my brother ( works at a chromer ) have them chromed and then seal it all with marine urethane :)

BAM... reflector for free :)
all theres left is the wood and some elbow grease :)

_Adrian_

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wazzel":137jcr69 said:
I prefer to deal with my lighting on a component level. I'm not electrical savy, plus the risk on having one of my DIY electrical things next to saltwater just gives me the shivers. So unless you are reall confident in your electrical skills I would look at buying components (ballast, reflector, lamp etc)

As far as cheap bulbs, be ware what you buy off e-bay. Inless you know what youare looking for you may get a bad deal or end up with some bulb that is non-reef friendly.

Personally I don't think a mogule is better than a DE. They are just different. I run DE's because I like the compact reflectors. That allowed me to keep my camopy short.

What wattage and color temp bulbs are you looking for? In my tank I run 250 watt 10K bulbs and I can get them for $65 from the standard online fish shops.

When you start shopping only by price just remember that more often than not you get what you pay for. Advaice from somoen who did just that on his first tank and ended up replacing every component except for the tank and stand. Best advice is to get good gear the first time, because if you don't you will be replacing it.

electrical dont bother me .. and i am 100% confident in my electrical skils ( used to work as maintenance in a smaller tool and die shop where i had to install a step down transformer with nothing more just a screwdriver, flashlight and schematics 600V->208 and 110) anywho....
i found the balasts localy at a electrical supplier, at the smokin price of $49.73 each and they have 7 in stock. they can also provide me with the proper hi temp connectors, wiring and even the porcelan mogul sockets !

will be probably going with 2 175W 10-14K enclosures will build myself and they will be ventilated to keep temps down

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i disagree once again. you missed a very good post/study, by...i think it was sanjay, that stated that SE bulbs put out more PAR...don't quote me, but i think it was PAR.(it's been a while)

and as far as ebay is concerned, i got my bulbs from ebay and i can guarantee that your bulbs aren't 60 dollars better.
what kind of bulb is non-reef friendly? you mean an extremely low kelvin bulb? well..just make sure you purchase a higher kelvin bulb. :?
turn it on when you get it- if it's bluish or white, you're good. if it's yellow or reddish....send it back. no worries. these guys on ebay with 1200 positives don't want negative feedback. they will make you happy.

are you SURE your bulbs are consistant with your assumptions?
would you be willing to bet...say..your life....on the fact that the 14k bulbs you bought are exactly 14k? hmm....i have been to food distributors- companies who can kill dozens, even hundreds if they make a mistake, and they DO make mistakes. you think your bulb company has higher standards?
i think it's absurd to spend 60 to 80 dollars for a light bulb.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mr_X":21gnkz8j said:
i disagree once again. you missed a very good post/study, by...i think it was sanjay, that stated that SE bulbs put out more PAR...don't quote me, but i think it was PAR.(it's been a while)

and as far as ebay is concerned, i got my bulbs from ebay and i can guarantee that your bulbs aren't 60 dollars better.
what kind of bulb is non-reef friendly? you mean an extremely low kelvin bulb? well..just make sure you purchase a higher kelvin bulb. :?
turn it on when you get it- if it's bluish or white, you're good. if it's yellow or reddish....send it back. no worries. these guys on ebay with 1200 positives don't want negative feedback. they will make you happy.

would you be willing to bet...say..your life....on the fact that the 14k bulbs you bought are exactly 14k? hmm....i have been to food distributors- companies who can kill dozens, even hundreds if they make a mistake, and they DO make mistakes. you think your bulb company has higher standards?
i think it's absurd to spend 60 to 80 dollars for a light bulb.

For some reason you seam to like to try and point out I do not know what I am taking about. I am by no means attacking you.

Here is an except from one of Sanjay's articles, of which I have read all of them.

Comparing the data here and other 250W DE articles with the data for 250W Mogul lamps, should provide enough factual information to dispel the myth that 250W DE lamps produce more light output than the 250W single ended mogul lamps. A general sweeping statement to this effect cannot be made, and depends on the lamp under consideration.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/ ... eviewb.htm

My startement was that they are not better, just different. Also the bulb and ballast combination makes a difference.

Here is his web site.

http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/index.htm

As far as buying off ebay that is your preference. I prefer to buy from a repatible vendor. I don't know how much you are paying for bulbs, but if mine are $60 more you must be getting yours for free.

What is this about? I believe my bulbs to be somewhere near the color rating. If not they would be sent back.

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do i seem to point out you....anything?
i was just saying what i thought, like you were. relax. wow..am i that arguementative sounding? i'm not meaning to be.

my bulbs were 9.99. for SE 400 watt 14k. i don't even know what price yours were, but i'm betting much more than that.

as far as reputable vendors....someone who sells on ebay and has 1200 positives is just that. someone you can trust.
those online stores have no credit ratings except for word of mouth.

"I believe my bulbs to be somewhere near the color rating"
yes, and so do i. i was just making a point. i am not being aggressive or negative. i'm sorry if you think i was. relax dude. i read your posts and i respect your opinion. i swear to.....you know....the big guy. :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am relaxed. I apologize for being defensive. I'll PM you something to explain in private.

_Adrian_

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok ...
just got back with some toys today and there will be more comming in tuesday :)

Today:
2 x Glo HO T5 Balasts - 59W x 2
4 x HO T5 tubes ( 2 x atinics and 2 x 50/50's)

Tuesday:
2 x 175w Advance Magnetic balasts

Still on the list for today a trip to home depot and get 25ft of 143OPW cable with some snazy locking connectors used in 30A 208v instalations.
Also i seen the mogul sockets and reflectors were the cheapest at home depot for a mere $3.95 a socket !! As far as power to the balasts.. i have a really nice old skool AT powersupply with an integrated 10A breaker and your guessed it... a power switch !

so i hope wednesday i can sneak into my dads place of work and use the metal brake and bend up a case and reflector :) whoohoooo .. freebies :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shavo":ligpcrke said:
sorry wazzel I had a long day at work

my apologies, it wasn't aimed at you directly

No problem. I had a long week and am a bit short fused myself.

_Adrian_

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sure :)
i will snap a couple of them with my phone cam .. my dauther kindah f'ed up my new sony slr .... :mad:

also i have my new Wet/Dry...

_Adrian_

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK ..
heres a couple of pics...
just got the larger wet/dry ... keep in mind only paid $40 for it!
measurements (LxWxD) 24x14x16 to the top of the "tank" and from the bottom to the top of the bio chamber 24"

ok ...
quick math...
total volume (filled to the gills) 23Gal...
with only 8" of water (to the botom of media drawer) 11.44Gal

Attachments

• IMAGE_00005.jpg
    IMAGE_00005.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 2,284
  • Picture 045sm.jpg
    Picture 045sm.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 2,282
  • Picture 041sm.jpg
    Picture 041sm.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 2,279

The_Orca

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We can turn that wet/dry into a fuge. ....,,,,It's so easy Look at the pics below. If you ask the forum... is a wet/dry better than a fuge????this forum will let you know fuge rules. LOL but really it's easy to convert.

Attachments

• DSCN1263.JPG
    DSCN1263.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 2,277
  • DSCN1264.JPG
    DSCN1264.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 2,276
  • DSCN1266.JPG
    DSCN1266.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 2,277

The_Orca

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the same exact wet/dry. Look at my Members tank specs for more pic's. Look..... no bull ...The refuge is so much better than the wet/dry. I had a 55 gal with a wet/dry Canister filter.I had Cyano all the time. The water was clear, the parameters were good. But once I bought my new tank and shavo and Mr.X talked me into a refugium. There's no going back. I haven't had a more cleaner healthier tank since I started 2years ago. The fuge has been up for a few months and for some reason PLANTS keep the tank clean. I guess the same way Tree's keep the air clean. Or at least try to LOL good luck any questions please ask. there is no reason to buy a fuge when it's so easy to convert your's into one. :D
Take a good look. It's the exact same wet/dry. I also utilize the same built in Protein skimmer. Please ask questions if you have them. If your stuck, PM me and I'll call you and send you more pics. The reason I'm so gun ho is let the wet/dry people turn there Nitrate factories into natures perfect filter. A Refugium...... Plus when you build up so many plants you can sell them to your LFS for credit. :D

_Adrian_

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually gonna do both :)
and if all else faills .. oh well it's $40 !!!
besides i have someone that wants mine... and is willing to pay $150 !
LOL

and for $150 i can get a Coralife Super Skimer with needle wheel pump.
also ...
i have a fresh 15lbs bag og live sand sitting in the corner and hopefully in the next couple fo days i will be ordering a couple of nice chunks or LR (about 100Lbs total) and gonna be moving some of the smaller pieces to the refuge to make room for the big ones :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: