• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

herpencounter

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomato clowns are good fish I had one (Tomato clowns get to be 5 inches).
And you have to remember young clowns can be together but as they get older you can only keep them in pairs (male and female this can cost more to get a mated pair IMO get 1).

cindre2000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns will naturally mate on their own. There should be no reason to get a mated pair unless you plan on buying them full grown. The smaller of the two will become the male and the larger, more dominant clown, will become the female.

Since you want a small tank, go with ocellaris.

toastii

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there any special accomidations for tomato clows. what they eat- i will do more more more research on them, because i like them so far.

that and ocellaris/percula incase i have to get those

toastii

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok! damn but im not getting the tank she gave the tank to her brother!!!

ahhh so i think i might get justa regular rectangular 30 gallon at petsmart. see what my other opttions are.

i reall y wanted that tank!

cindre2000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomato Clowns are hardy and adaptable. They do get quite big- 4-5" and such specimens should probably be in at least a 75-90 gallon aquarium if you plan on keeping other fish. They can be aggressive, like all clowns and damsels, and should be housed with fish that can handle such aggression. They will soon learn to accept almost all food that you feed them. Quality Marine Flake or Pellet is a good staple and should be supplemented with carnivore treats such as live/frozen brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, plankton, krill, and fresh seafood. Tomato Clowns are known to host in Bubble-Tip Anemones and Carpet Anemones; I have also seen individuals host in Condylactis Anemones.

Unless you plan on getting at least a 50 gallon aquarium I suggest you stick to Percula Clowns.

toastii

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm i wonder how big of a tank my parents will tollerate...

i guess if they really absolutely need a 55gl tank than i'll stick to the ocellaris...

by the time im ready to add theses guys im going to want a bigger tnak
hhaa

herpencounter

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well once you put one in there is not much room for more fish.
Maybe 3 more inches of fish.
But 30galls is there mini tank size.

cindre2000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55 is a really terrible tank size. Go with a shorter wider tank or a wider taller tank. It will also lessen the visual impact so that aquarium will not look so big. The 40 breeder or the 50 are both good dimensions.

Big "no" to the build your own. Unless you know what you are doing and you are buying whole sale you cannot save money on making it your self, especially with a glass tank; UNLESS, the aquarium you are making is quite small.

cindre2000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't be able to build an aquarium or comparable quality that you would trust with $40-$80. Unless you have more experience then what you are telling us...

cindre2000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about buying used? If you look in a local newspaper, trading magazine, or petstore billboard you may find someone selling an already set up system for about half original start up value.

toastii

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have more money than that hahaa...
the actual tank or the whole thing...

anyways im just throwing out my options whether good or bad.
could an eclipse work as a good reef tank

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: