shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heed what X said, he told you alot in all those posts, you have the startings of a tank in this thread. follow what he has told you and follow well young JEDI

Ansphire

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the book Salt Water Aquariums for dummies today!!

Im in the second chapter already.. pretty cool

I'm really interested in the DSB topic.

cindre2000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people like DSB, others don't. I believe the main "issue" is that a DSB takes up to 3 months to develop its capacity to reduce nitrates; and more importantly; some people are scared that a DSB could "crash" and release all the stored up gunk in it.

No sand bed with a lot of flow, a powerful skimmer, and plenty of rock can also go a long way towards no nitrates. However, I like my sand bed.

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you might check out "marine reef aquarium handbook" by Dr. Robert J. Goldstein as well. after salt water for dummies. :wink:

Ansphire

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me ask you some more stuff..

1- Critters, what are they. All creatures you put in there?

2- How does the organisms in the sand get there?

3- Deep inside the rock has capabilities of keeping Nitrate at zero?

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why am I getting involved in this??? lol here goes

I think they sell pods somehow i think I saw them in a bottle or something, but If you were to get macros from me it will come stocked with all the little buggers you can handle. all my stuff came with the macros and live rock. My fuge looks like the jetsons with all these things flying around.
critters are copapods, starfish, snail like things, bristle worms, and any other crazy creature that comes out of the ocean.

your questions about the rock , yes it is true but I don't wanna get involved with the science you can do some research, I am sure your book will cover it or do a live rock search on line. information is everywhere my young padawon.

Ansphire

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oK.. I think I got the DSB figured out.

Deep in the sand, that bacteria and nasty stuff will grow. The Danger is that if you disturb the sand bed and those gases are released to the water... well.. you are done!.. So the trick is not to disturb the sand, or keep it to a minimum.

Imma get 3-4" pvc pipes and lay eggcrate on it. This will create a stand for my Live rock and will prevent any disturbing of the sand bed.

How does it sound?

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how deep of a sandbed do plan on having?

also you can accomplish a deep sand bed in the fuge instead of the display.

sand is fairly expensive it would be easier and cheaper to achieve a DSB in the fuge instead of the display.

just a thought. plus you really wouldn't disturb it ever in the fuge.

is that even true? disturbing a DSB would reap havok? I never heard that anywhere.

Ansphire

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to have the sand bed in the refugium..

What I read is that when you disturb it, It will release the gases that where trap in there to the water. These will consume all the O2, which will drop the levels of O2, raise the level of CO2 and cause a sudden drop in ph.

Will a little sand bed in a refugium be enough?

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think so, why not? what size tank is this again and what size fuge?

I don't have a dsb and I have no problems at all BTW.

i do have sand in the fuge and ruble rock but I wouldn't call it a DSB and in my display I have peaks and valleys from 1" deep to 3 to 4" deep

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you have speed dial on your computer that was a fast reply.

I think your ok if you want to do a DSB in the fuge instead of the display

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to get off my lunch break, Mr. X can take it from here I think he is getting off from work soon. Get your questions ready for him.

Also post all your pictures from beginning to end in the members tank specifications section. I would like to see what our efforts and your research finally comes up with.

SHAVO OUT!

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ansphire":1h2l26t6 said:
oK.. I think I got the DSB figured out.

Deep in the sand, that bacteria and nasty stuff will grow. The Danger is that if you disturb the sand bed and those gases are released to the water... well.. you are done!.. So the trick is not to disturb the sand, or keep it to a minimum.

Imma get 3-4" pvc pipes and lay eggcrate on it. This will create a stand for my Live rock and will prevent any disturbing of the sand bed.

How does it sound?

you are wrong about not disturbing the sand.
and you are wrong if you think that a deep sand bed will guarantee you zero nitrates, no matter what.
you will need to take good care of your tank no matter what is on the bottom.
like cindre said earlier:
some people are scared that a DSB could "crash" and release all the stored up gunk in it.

it's not about stirring the sand. some say that the sand bed could turn toxic after a period of time, and wipe out your tank. stirred or not.
others swear by their sand beds, like people swear by live rock.

a DSB will do basically what live rock does. it's not a miracle cure all/end all for nitrates.

Ansphire

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok..

So NO Sand bed?....

I don't think Imma do one.

Let me ask you something, Deep in the live rock Nitrates are decomposed. Correct?... What is the paste that nitrate raises at?

Also, Can you help me understand the process of curing rock. The book went over it, but not very deep......

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
curing rock is the time that after you put it in the tank alof of things die off and give you an ammonia spike, takes about a month to cure rock, to go through the cycling process. some places have cured and uncured rock, maybe you can find cured rock and skip that process.

I think that a DSB is a place with very low oxygen and a certain bacteria thrive in it and decompose nitrates. I don't think that if you disturb it it will wipe out your tank.

what questions did you have about our setups????

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: