Ansphire

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oK.. I still don't understand something.

What causes the organisms in the rock to die and produce ammonia?.. If they are in the tank, with salt water, skimmer, light...

2nd.. Once the they die and produce ammonia the cycle will start, but soon after the bacteria that decomposes ammonia apears, what other source of ammonia do you introduce to keep it alive?.. Thats when you put in a few hardy fish?

Follow?

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
think of it as the rocks just got pulled from the ocean, they are not shipped in water that would make it the rock much more heavy to ship. they are exposed to the air for quite a while until they are delivered to your LFS. there are companies that ship direct from the ocean in water. But you take the risk of getting something nasty in there.

mantis shrimp, octopus, whatever.

Ansphire

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. so the cycle starts, the rock creates ammonia, after 10days beneficial bacteria grows in the rock and consumes ammonia into nitritre, then beneficial bacteria grows for nitrite to nitrate and then another bac takes nitrate into nitrogen.

My question is, at some point do you have to provide a new source of ammonia for the cycle to keep on going?

Ansphire

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are so specific it scares me.

Rock keeps on living on its own?

The refugium, do I establish that first?

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sometimes too much info doesn't help, why don't you just start and see where it takes you if you run into problems ask.

rock keeps on living on it's own? the rock isn't alive really. but whatever, yeah it will be fine if it is in salt water, so don't worry about rock anymore.
the refugium should I start that first, well, you can it certainly wouldn't hurt anything. or you can just do some rock in the tank with water and some power heads and aheaters.

what where your questions regarding Mr.X's and my tank you mentioned earlier.

also where do you work??

Ansphire

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I was looking at your setup and I love them...

I had a bunch a questions.. I gotta think of them again.. But a couple of them where... lets see...

1- I noticed you drilled a hole in the rocks, put a wood stick thru it and stack'em up. Very good Idea and I might do the same. Does the wood ever go bad?..

2- The sump, I need Info on the bubbles. Can I just do that three division thing right before the return pump?

I'll draw my thoughts in a minute.

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DON"T USE WOOD!!!! lol, I was forced to because when I cut my plastic rods to size they were metal on the inside so I went to the HD and the only alternative was wood.

on my build thread there is a link for a company that makes acrylic rods. use them instead. I have replaced the wood dowells with the acrylic rods.

you can get away with alot of things with the fuge. I only have 2 baffles one to split the fuge and return and one to split the fuge and the intake.

only 2 baffles and no air bubbles. but yes you can do the baffle thing if it makes you feel comfortable , remember the last baffle sets your water level in the fuge. and the bigger the section where the return pump is the longer you have until you need to do top offs just a hint on fuges.

Ansphire

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's this?...

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 1,274

Ansphire

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my skimmer... Man this thing is HUGE!!....

Euro-reef cs8!...

What type of Macro should I put in the fuge?

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yo, what ever kind you want. I told you I would hook you up if you drive and get them. I have cheato and bubble and some other vine looking things.

they usually sell it for 10 dollars a handfull

i'll give you a basketball size if you want

Ansphire

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man.. I appreciate the hook up.. but I think I'm pretty far from you.. Pm me your address, maybe I'll take a ride. that way I also get a few tips from your set up.

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why don't you buy your own live rock? there are plenty of stores around.
and online merchants as well.
btw..i didn't say not to get a sand bed, nor did i say a dsb was bad.

Ansphire

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a much bigger sump!... :lol:

DSB.. I dunno man.. some people say its great, others say its bad.

I don't one one in my tank, If anything I may do it in the refugium.. but still not sure.

cindre2000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to be careful with. If the baffles are too high, the water level in the sump will be quite high. You will need the sump to be able to hold all the excess water from the return tubing and the height difference in the aquarium.

Ansphire

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guy's what will I need to set up a 20gallon Breeder Reef Tank?

Imma do the big one a FOWLR and a 20Long a reef.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: