Eznet2u

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks as if you have a bit of Cyano starting...What type of flow do you have in the tank?

This is what most of the people on here were trying to tell you. These things will happen if you go too fast.

You need to increase your flow and your water changes. Reduce your lighting cycle to maybe 4 or 5 hours a day.

Think of your tank as a pendulum...When it is first setup it will swing very high...as time goes by these swings will become less and less until your tank stabilizes.
With that in mind...every time you add or change something, you boost the pendulum swing. That includes chemicals / additives / light / temperature...everything.

When people tell you to slow down, think of it as your parents telling you to look both ways before crossing the street... :)

DontXtripNfall

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
lol thanks, i really like this rock but there are so many things on it (including aiptasia) i feel like just soaking it to get the stuff off but dare i start another cycle.. haha yea i wouldnt do it, if they die they die, it doesnt matter - more room for corals i will pick anyway.

But just to be understood I waited a week and then added the tiny zoas and sexy shrimp yesterday - i won't add much more until the swap, depending on wat CUC AE has today.

DontXtripNfall

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
The cyano also came with that rock and it has disappearing eversince i took care of it

I know i shouldn't be so stubburn but i don't like being told over and over, i know its advice but i know my risks and if it fails i gain knowledge if it doesnt i gain confidence.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
The cyano also came with that rock and it has disappearing eversince i took care of it

I know i shouldn't be so stubburn but i don't like being told over and over, i know its advice but i know my risks and if it fails i gain knowledge if it doesnt i gain confidence.

How'd you take care of the cyano?

You've kinda got the wrong attitude, you're dealing with LIVE animals not plastic fake wanna be coral. If you have the "I lose it I'll buy more attitude" it's not gonna work long term and you'll see that cause after a while you're pockets will be empty :(, trust me I've been there.

I guess all in all it takes a while to REALLY gain appreciation for the hobby.

DontXtripNfall

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
steve told me to put it in a bucket of sw with a heater and powerhead. Anything i saw still clinging i used a turkey bastor to blow off b4 returning it to my tank.

By fail i mean if the sps die not my whole tank...

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
As for the SPS, I was talking to ellebelle in RG and she said she has kept SPS with my kind of lighting, although they didn't flourish like they would in MH they did alright.

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. What I said was that I HAVE kept SPS under PC lighting. HOWEVER, to reinterate what I said in RG:

(1) I knew EXACTLY what pieces I was getting and what their light requirements were.
(2) I put up a frag rack three inches from the lights.
(3) they grew slowly, and browned out

I will add to that:
(4) that I added them over a year after I started the tank.
(5) I also lost tissue on the internal part of the stylo and pocciliopora.
(6) I didn't start adding them until I BOUGHT metal halides for my upgrade

JD, I understand that you are young and enthusiastic and clearly believe that you are going to be able to keep whatever you want to keep with no modifications to your tank. I am not sure how many people it is going to take telling you to slow down and either upgrade your lights or scale back your desires for your tank inhabitants. If you get your $20 maxima at the swap, it WILL die and a tank as young as your will NOT be able to absorb that kind of biological waste and it will cause more of your livestock to die. I am predicting it now. A real sign of maturity would be to take it a little slower and listen to the advice you are given.

Last edited:

JHOV2324

Love da Reef-er
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
hey JD try not to say "i dont like being told what to do"...cause then no one will give you advice...and in the future you will definetly be having more questions :biggrin: next time on RG i make sure to say HI!

BrooklynsReefMan1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. What I said was that I HAVE kept SPS under PC lighting. HOWEVER, to reinterate what I said in RG:

(1) I knew EXACTLY what pieces I was getting and what their light requirements were.
(2) I put up a frag rack three inches from the lights.
(3) they grew slowly, and browned out

I will add to that:
(4) that I added them over a year after I started the tank.
(5) I also lost tissue on the internal part of the stylo and pocciliopora.
(6) I didn't start adding them until I BOUGHT metal halides for my upgrade

JD, I understand that you are young and enthusiastic and clearly believe that you are going to be able to keep whatever you want to keep with no modifications to your tank. I am not sure how many people it is going to take telling you to slow down and either upgrade your lights or scale back your desires for your tank inhabitants. If you get your $20 maxima at the swap, it WILL die and a tank as young as your will NOT be able to absorb that kind of biological waste and it will cause more of your livestock to die. I am predicting it now. A real sign of maturity would be to take it a little slower and listen to the advice you are given.

i took the slow approach i waited a long time before i even got any cuc or livestock... i told julian and showed him a diagram of the time i waited but i understand i waited a really long time but i havent had any problems with anything except for a fish dieing and my yellow watchman gobie eating my shrimp the slow approach is better

inkblue

Rice Planter
Rating - 98.6%
145   2   0
Patience grasshopper...

polk4.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: