NavyNano212

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Does anyone have an opinion on either of these?

I am looking at purchasing another tank that is similar to my 24G nano...and I have been looking at these. They both seem ok and have some good features...I might upgrade some of them or remove a few things, etc...
I am always interested in everyone's suggestions.
Not sure if I am ready for something like a 75 or 90G yet.
Thoughts?

EmilyT

Don't diss softies!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
i have the red sea max, the solona looks easier to mod but the max seems like less work on the tank. it depends what you're looking for.

NavyNano212

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Yes, I am torn. the Max has several built in features for switches, plugs and a timer for the lights. It also has night vue LEDs.
How important are the "night lights"...I use them now for about 5 hours in my Nano

The Solana has cleaner look. They are both 34G; however the Solana has a usuable water capcity of only 29 G according to the website. Not sure about the Max.

S

supersarc

Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Red Sea Max

I have a Red Sea Max 34g. It has nice features for a clean set-up...easy access, built in timer, switches & extension chord. From the factory it runs a little hot. I have it modified so it only uses 1 pump in the sump. This produces less heat and stops the air bubbles from the skimmer from being blown into the tank. The tank also comes w/3 fans, but only 2 are working...not sure why. I hard wired the third fan (back left of tank) into the hood. I also added a 2-fishes phosphate reactor running off a minijet. The reactor hangs nicely off the back and the powerhead sits in the sump under the return pump. I also added 2 koralia nano pumps for circulation and 1 more minijet. The tank runs at 78.5 with all equipment. The skimmer the tank comes with works very well which greatly helps the water quality. nitrate= 5-10 ppm, phos= 0 ppm.

There are 4 species montipora, 2 species acropora and a birdsnest, as well as, many soft corals. Also, Bluespot jawfish, 2 clowns and a 6-line wrasse. Tank looks great and runs great. FYI, the cyano in the picture was due to old bulbs and is gone now.

Attachments

• redseamax2.JPG
    redseamax2.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 331

EmilyT

Don't diss softies!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have a Red Sea Max 34g. It has nice features for a clean set-up...easy access, built in timer, switches & extension chord. From the factory it runs a little hot. I have it modified so it only uses 1 pump in the sump. This produces less heat and stops the air bubbles from the skimmer from being blown into the tank. The tank also comes w/3 fans, but only 2 are working...not sure why. I hard wired the third fan (back left of tank) into the hood. I also added a 2-fishes phosphate reactor running off a minijet. The reactor hangs nicely off the back and the powerhead sits in the sump under the return pump. I also added 2 koralia nano pumps for circulation and 1 more minijet. The tank runs at 78.5 with all equipment. The skimmer the tank comes with works very well which greatly helps the water quality. nitrate= 5-10 ppm, phos= 0 ppm.

There are 4 species montipora, 2 species acropora and a birdsnest, as well as, many soft corals. Also, Bluespot jawfish, 2 clowns and a 6-line wrasse. Tank looks great and runs great. FYI, the cyano in the picture was due to old bulbs and is gone now.
are the sps under the stock lighting??

i would recommend the solana with my experience with the max, its really hard to to mod it in my opinion. i also have to shut off the second pump because the overflow is so high up and the slits are so small, it doesnt suck in enough water. my max actually runs a bit on the low side, but that will probably change in the summer. its a PITA to change the carbon because you have to remove the pumps to do so. also my moonlights stopped working, i think the max has a few more bugs then the solana or maybe thats because i got it a year ago, and maybe they've fixed the bugs. the lighting is also hard to upgrade i think. The max is still enjoyable, but i think the solana would give a better overall approval, im not trying to put down all the max owners here, cuz im one of them :)

just my little 2 cents.

S

supersarc

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Yes, stock lighting. I use smaller carbon bag placed in sump between overflow and sponge. That way you don't have to remove the pumps to change it.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
SPS under PC lighting means SPS browning out.

The solans is a better tank for plenty of reasons. First and foremost there is no bow front. Having an aquapod for almost a year now I would rather have a flat pane tank for many reasons but for the most important reason is that the bow distorts the view of some parts of my tank. The Solana also has the optin of halide T5 or PC lighting where as with the red sea max you get PC lighting only then have to spend quite a bit of money at nano customs to mod your lighting. Having that power center mounted to the tank IMO is unsafe (but hey what do I know right) The protien skimmer on both also stink in my opinion and from the research I have done the skimmer on the solana is easier to replace. Also the pumps etc are just fluff on both tanks, I would replace them with either MJ1200's or 900's (hey I did that on my pod).

I am going to be upgrading in the future and the only future I have is the Current Solana.

EmilyT

Don't diss softies!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
even though im voting for the solana, i must establish that the Mad doesnt have a bowfront. all 3 sides of the glass are perfectly flat, just the corners are rounded to give off a softer look

NavyNano212

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Chief,
I think I am with you...I have been doing more research and I like the look of the Solana. I would probably mod it a bit, but I like the option of MH lighting which I recently put on my NanoCube.
I am sure I will post a thread asking for assistance in setting it up once I get it. Treat me like a newbie!!

inked

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I picked up a solana about 2 months ago and love it. I went with it because it one of the most open all in one units, you have many choices as fair as lighting, pumps and skimmers. I personally dont think the skimmer that comes with the unit is all that bad I pull some pretty nasty skimmate but it did take a good month to break in. I agree with chief the rounded corners of the aquapod and redsea difinately distort the tank at some views and can be a PITA to clean.

ReeferMadness99

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hi, I'm just setting up my Solana and I can't be happier. I upgraded to the 20" 250W sunpod (check out aloha aquariums, they have it priced like the 150W!!!!). I noticed that Chief posted a comment about the pumps in both systems. Said that the pump was fluff and should be replaced with a Maxi Jet 900 or 1200. The specs on my Solana say that the aquarium cycles 396 gph. The MJ1200 is rated at 295 gph. It seems like I would be downgrading if I replaced my stock pump. Am I wrong?

I would like to know if anyone has had any success with any modifications to their Solana. Because of the limited space of working with an all-in-one, I'm not sure what I can mod to optimize my ecosystem. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: