reefkprZ

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are opinions on all sides of the fence on this subject but basically IMO they should be one of three options, Bare bottom (no sand) under 1 inch or over 5 inches. a lot of people have successes with many different set ups and I am definatly not going to start the DSB versus SSb debate, its been over done a million times. I prefer DSB's my 65g has a DSB of 6 inches, my 75g has a SSB in the DT with a 5 inch DSB sump. I think the de-nitrification is worth the extra cost in sand, as well as the volume in tank lost due to the sand bed.

but you need to take into consideration tghe critters you want to house, if your going to house fish that constantly shift sand a DSB may not be a good choice as they can damage anaerobic zones causing constant fluctuations in your tank by moving sand around.

h20 freak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although there is evidence that TOO deep of a sandbed could build up a toxin over time due to completely anaerobic conditions called "anoxic", Not to sure what it was called, something sulphate?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: