LadyR

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
So i just brought home a 30 gallon tank. I didn't want to go to big because this is my first time. Are there any suggestions or tips that someone can give me on starting this tank correctly? I have read on this forum a lot that people started tanks and then restarted them and went bigger because they started their tanks wrong. I don't want to fall into that catagory. :) I don't have the money for all of that. :lol: Thanks!

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Welcome to MR. First thing I can say is start reading the forums.

Second, make sure you get all of the equipment you could possibly need for your setup first. Don't be cheap as it will cost you more in the long run because you will have to buy good equipment to replace the stuff you are replacing and you won't get near what you paid for it.

Second, set the tank up and make sure it is level. Decide wethere you want sand or bare bottom. Get your substrate and rock and put your rock in first. Once you have your rock in put your sand in and your water.

Start the water circulating and throw in a pinch of fish food. Get some good test kits and wait for your cycle to finish. It should take a few weeks, after that you can start to add a cllean up crew and livestock. When you add anything live add things slowly and make sure that they are goping to fit when fully grown.

I know I am forgetting stuff but there is alot here. Good luck and feel free to ask any questions you need answered.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Welcome to MR. As chief said, do a lot of reading first. You'll wind up saving a boatload of money buying once instead of twice (sometimes three times :banghead: ).

The members here are great with answering questions. Opinions will vary and remember, there is more than one way to do things right in this hobby. Learn the basics and you'll be able to determine what is best for you.

Since you're at the very very early stages of starting your reef, I recommend (highly) to get started on the right foot and get yourself an RO/DI filter. This will at least introduce the 'right' water for your system......free of impurities.

Best of luck,
Russ

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
the tank you bought probably is not reef ready.if you want to get serious about this hobby you will need 1.after u get a rr tank u need to get a sump which will go underneath your display tank and will house all your equipment.a sump is another tank.not only does it house ur equip but it also gives u more water volume.you will put some type of pump in there for your water return back up to your display tank.you will have to decide what you are going to want in your tank so you know what type of light u are going to need.on my 30 i have t-5 which i like.next u are going to need a titanium heater with the temperature controls that sit outside the tank.titanium because it wont shatter if it knocked into by your equip.no your going to need powerheads for water movement.i use 2 koralina.they go in your display for good water movement.if you decide to stick with the 30 you will need 40 to 50 lbs of live rock.also i would use some type of sand there are many differant types you can choose.hook everything up and let it run for a few weeks.u are going to have to check your parameters on the tank until ur tank cycles.after the cycle you can start adding some crabs and maybe 3 snails,dont rush on adding livestock you need to take it slow.

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I agree with nyreefnoob. I started wit an aquapod and it made it easy to learn from there. you will spend alot more trying to outfit a 30 aga properly. With a biocube, aquapod, jbj, or any of the other all in one systems out there, you wind up with tank, lights(which can be very expensive), filter, pump, Hood, Its all there. Just add sand, rock, water(RO/DI PLEASE) and livestock, Maybe a heater for the winter.
Check out nanoreef.com. Its a big help for smaller tanks. not that 30 is that small.
Also chek out the tank threads forum to see the diff. between pods and small tank. You may very well prefer the look of one over the other
Happy Reefing

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Welcome to MR :) You should chat with ellebelle. She started with a 30 gallon tank that was not part of a prepackaged set up.

I find these books very helpful. They were great for getting me started, and informative enough that I will continue to use them as my skills improve.

Aquarium Keeping and Rescue
the essential saltwater handbook and log
by Carl DelFavero
ISBN 1-890087-49-1

this book is for super beginner but I love it because it has a very easy to follow trouble shooting guide in the back and all the reef chemistry is very basic and easy to find.

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist
a commonsense handbook for successful saltwater hobbyists
by Robert M. Fenner
ISBN 1-890087-03-3

I love this book. In addition to setup, lighting, rock, substrate, and diseases, it has a great section on fish and invertebrates.

A Complete Encyclopedia of the Saltwater Aquarium
A definitive reference to more than 300 marine fish and invertebrate species
By Nick Dakin with Foreword by Julian Sprung

Another of my favorite books. It has a good basic section on tank set up with the section on light being very informative and easy to follow. The section on fish and invertebrates is really excellent.

OK, the following books are good for ID and deciding what you want in your tank. I bring them to the fish store with me :)

Corals
a quick reference guide
by Julian Sprung
ISBN 1-883693-09-8

Marine Fishes
A Pocket Exper Guide
500+ essential-to-know aquarium species
ISBN 1-890087-38-6

Marine Invertebrates
A Pocket Expert Guide
500+essential to know aquarium species
ISBN1-890087-66-1

Before you buy another thing or ask another question you should buy the Conscientious Marine Aquarist. I do not agree with it's suggestion to cycle your tank with a damsel fish, but it will give you a sound foundation. You will also be able to ask intelligent questions which will get much more response from experienced reefers.

Also, you should never go to the store without the pocket guides to fish and invertibrates. Do not rely on what a possibly untrained store clerk has to say about what is safe for your tank.

Before you ask any questions, do a search and read all the available threads on the topic. This will also enable you to ask intelligent questions.

READ, READ, READ!!!

Last edited:

LadyR

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Thanks so much for your replies! I am going to look into the biocube, nano and aquapod tanks right now. I definitely want to do this the right way.

LadyR

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LeslieS,
Thanks so much for your book suggestions. I am going to go out and see if i can locate them. Especially the pocketguide books. :)

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Welcome to MR :) You should chat with ellebelle. She started with a 30 gallon tank that was not part of a prepackaged set up.

I kind of wanted to do a prepackaged set up but was convinced otherwise by my then-boyfriend. I am much happier in the long run NOT having gone the nanocube route. By starting with a non-packaged set up, I was able to hand pick all of my equipment and have been able to upgrade twice without re-buying very much stuff.

For reference: http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/17456-my-29g-work-progress.html

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
elle you knew you would upgrade also, for someone that plans to just buy once { cough i know it never happens } the nano is great and for the price of them makes it better, i currently have a aquapod 12g going now my single seahorse tank. too me they are a easy and in expensive way to learn the hobby as well as easy to maintain

LadyR

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so i decided to go with a 24gal nano cube. Besides the equipement the tank already comes with is there anything else I should add? I want to put live sand in the tank as well as live rock. Do you guys recommend that I start off with this?

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
ok so i decided to go with a 24gal nano cube.

Best of luck with your new tank.

LadyR said:
Besides the equipement the tank already comes with is there anything else I should add?

Salt
Refractometer
test kits
RO/DI filter
heater
powerhead

Just for starters.

LadyR said:
I want to put live sand in the tank as well as live rock. Do you guys recommend that I start off with this?

LS and LR is fine. You won't need much in a 24g nano.

Russ

targa

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
welcome have a biocube myself 29 oceanic have to get a good skimmer and make sure you do your water changes i learned to hard way.do it once do it right everybody here have great advise got pics have any question ask away.
GOOD LUCK,HAVE FUN:)

Attachments

• IMG_3215.jpg
    IMG_3215.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3210.jpg
    IMG_3210.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3214.jpg
    IMG_3214.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 86

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: