Will C

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Sounds like a Japanese monster movie but I am looking at both and need some opinions on the powerheads. I am comparing the mp40w vs comparable tunze - pls all comments and advice are appreciated

luigisacs

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truthfully I think both are perfect compliments to each other. The surge of the vortech suspends a boat load of detrius in the water column. The tunzes then distrubute them to the overflow. The only knock on the vortech I can see is that they aren't adjustable, ie you cant point them in any direction. Whereas the tunzes, specially the turbelles, can be pointed almost anywhere. I say do both if you can afford it .

Will C

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
It sounds like a mix between the 2 - a mp40w and a 6100 (bec it is hinged) is that right? What about battery backup I have been looking at computer UPS systems(uninterrupted power supply) that are very strong for $150 - I mean all they do is supply power, right? and you need something for an emergency so why not something that has the juice to run a laser printer - it should run a powerhead for a looong time. Pls comment, I don't want a UPS to fry my powerhead

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
yes, I can but for the same cost can I get a better back up

i doubt it... You will need to compare the ah rating of the Vortech backup to the UPS you are buying.

Plus the vortech battery backup switches the pump to DC and reduces the flow to 50% to allow increased run time when the power goes out. Using a UPS may not do this.

If you decide to go with Tunze, the new ones have battery backup available. You buy the the "Safety Connector" for $50 and it allows you to hook up to any DC power source. When the power goes out the safety connector will automatically switch over to the DC source and run the pump at 50%.

For my Tunze 6101, i got the Tunze Safetey Connector, a 55ah Sealed Lead Acid Battery, and a float charger. For about $150 total. I have 55+ hours of run time in the event of power loss. When the power comes back, the float charger recharges the battery for the next power loss event.

This will not work on the older Tunze pumps because they are not DC motors. The modified sine wave that a UPS creates will damage the AC motor according to Tunze.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: