ReefRookie08

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, I've had my tank set up since August 26, and me being ignorant used used tap water in my tank and top offs. I did this for about 3 weeks and i had a huge algae bloom. I took my live rocks and scrubbed them all with a brush I also bought a ro/di system right after the 3 weeks of set up I now still have hair algae and red algae along with diatoms. I have a canister filter which I put Marc Weiss Phosphate & Silicate magnet, Kent marine carbon, and seachem de*nitrate. I'd like to know how long does it take for these solutions to kick in? here are some pics of my tank . Please help!!!!!!!! (sorry for the poor picture quality i took them on my phone)

Attachments

• 1105081750.jpg
    1105081750.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 542
  • downsized_1105081741.jpg
    downsized_1105081741.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 453

muntai

CEO
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with tap water; the rocks, sand, etc... had already aborbed whatever impurties that was in your tap. it will slowly leach out n fuel the algea growth. it will take time even if all your water now is from rodi with 0 ppm. i dont think canister filter with Marc Weiss Phosphate & Silicate magnet is as effective even if u change it out often. i would use a clear reactor with GFO instead.
i would redo the tank with new sand n rocks that r more porous with less of a round boulder look so i can build a rockwork that can mininize the contact area between sand n rock.
anyway, good luck with whatever u decide to do.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
you don't have to go as far as using new rock and sand, but you will want to use GFO to pull the phosphate out as muntai suggested. It might take up to 6 months to pull the crap from the tap water out, but it will be worth it.
I don't see snails or hermits in the tank, invest in a clean up crew as well, you'll need them no mater what.

ReefRookie08

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 3 hermits which is like having nothing I know:eek:, but is there an easy and quick way of getting rid of this algae. maybe killing everything on the live rock, drainging out all the water and buying new live sand? and whats a GFO

ReefRookie08

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I leave my lights on for 6 hrs day and do water 5 gallon water changes once a week ( my tank is 20 gallons) i feed flakes every other day and mysis shrimp once day a week

emmanuel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
keep a glass of water next to the tank
grab the algae with your bare fingers and pull it off the rock
dip your hand in the glass of water to rinse off all algae from your hand
repeat till you can no longer grab any and repeat weekly
tweezers will help for short algae
the best thing to clean your tank is a sea hare but when all the algae is gone you have to find algae to feed it or pass it to someone that has algae

ReefRookie08

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ive been using RO/DI water for a while now. I only have a 20 gallon so i dont think a yellow tang would be ok Ill look into a seahare, but I just want to know when my live rock will stop leeching out all the nutrients

Last edited:

ReefRookie08

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can I try a tang? and sell it later when the problem goes away but not only that my rocks seem to be turning dark brown as well will the tang help with that also?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: