kamikazee83

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Hello everyone! I'm completely new to forum and the hobby.

Well to make long story short, I was kinda forced into it but turns out I'm enjoying it a lot. Anyway, I have this custom tank, brought from overseas, that was given to my family. It's more of a room divider than anything else. Its about 4 1/2 x 4 1/2 feet and about 2 feet deep. Besides many of the size issues, its in metric, now I'm dealing with the hood of the tank. It has a build in tank (it is removable), however it is too close to the water i need to elevate it about 4 inches in order to protect the lights.
Basically I need all the help I can get. Ideas anyone?

BTW one side in rounded and the other side rectangular, if that makes any sense. Thanks a lot.

kamikazee83

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Here are the pics of my tank. I have the sump in the basement. Its not completely set up yet.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 182
  • Picture 096.jpg
    Picture 096.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 185
  • Picture 097.jpg
    Picture 097.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 183

kamikazee83

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Also I thought about attaching it from the ceiling but i dont think its going to look right. Since this tank is in the living room and its the first thing people see as they walk into the house

autoponicz

powered by MR
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
looks like you would need someone with carpentry skills to build something to the same shape of the hood...and match the color
also i see its against a wall...it will look alot better if it actually was dividing a room...remove the crush coral and use sand

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
The pictures you show don't reveal a hood or a fixture of any kind. What type of lighting are you trying to raise 4"? Is the there a custom hood with a rounded end you're attempting to elevate?

A bit more information, pictures of the lighting and some measurements in inches/feet would be helpful. I'm sure we'll come up with something for you.

Happy holidays,
Russ

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Where in Fresh Meadows are you. I live near Springfield Blvd. Let me know if you need help. I should have some time this weekend.

You definitely have a room divider tank. Built so that the rectagular end is on the wall...

your t5's should be okay. if any evap gets on it and what not. You just have to clean it every so often. That or what you can do is attach a piece of acrylic to the hood itself.

kamikazee83

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Ok I have an idea, let me know what you guys think about it. I am going to use the sheet metal which is used for roofing and shape along the tank. then i'm going to use wooden blocks, about 2 inch wide, as support for the sheet metal. Then paint it the same color at the tank molding. what do you guys think??

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
I don't think you can use sheet metal. Because there is a risk of the evap water condensation going onto the sheet metal and you might have some contaminated water drop back into it. That's a big no no.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: