kamikazee83

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
did anything die?

No nothing died. I have a naso, yelleow and powder blue tang in there along with 2 clowns. Its a 270g tank.

All the other fish are ok, but the Naso tang seems a bit freaked out.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 83

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
You should give them a more up to date tank shot.

Background history:
This is a 250-290 gallon tank, about 30 lbs dried coral rubble, and 60 lbs dried crushed coral added 3 weeks ago.
10 lbs live sand, 10 lbs dried sand, and 90 lbs dried base rock added 2 weeks ago.
40 lbs live rock added Friday, Fish added Sunday. No Qt.

Sump Equipment:
35-40 Gallon sump
MSX 200 skimmer
1 mag 18 return pump

Last edited:

kamikazee83

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
You should give them a more up to date tank shot.

This is a 250-290 gallon tank, about 30 lbs dried coral rubble, and 60 lbs dried crushed coral added 3 weeks ago.
10 lbs live sand, 10 lbs dried sand, and 90 lbs dried base rock added 2 weeks ago.
40 lbs live rock added Friday, Fish added Sunday. No Qt.

Updated Shots

Attachments

• Picture 100.jpg
    Picture 100.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Picture 103.jpg
    Picture 103.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Picture 101.jpg
    Picture 101.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 88

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I sure hope there are rods holding those rocks together!

Was this tank cycled at all??
Anyway you can get those fish out and have someone care for them while you finish cycling the tank?

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
My suggestion still stands at getting fresh, cured live rock, kept wet all the way back to your tank ASAP.

I would have suggested to catch the fish and bring them back to the store for holding, but I know it's a pain in the ass to catch them out of the tank.

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I sure hope there are rods holding those rocks together!

Was this tank cycled at all??
Anyway you can get those fish out and have someone care for them while you finish cycling the tank?

Yeah there are rods holding the base rocks together. Some of the top pieces are sitting nicely on the tops of the base rock formation.

And I doubted the tank was fully cycled.

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
yea I guess I can see that its taller the second time around lol

is it gonna be a fish only tank?

but back to topic lol best bet is to get the fish out into non toxic water until your done adding rock and stop spiking the tank assuming that adding the new LR is reycling the tank bc it was not cured MAYBE just an idea or maybe the tank just wasnt done cycling idk how long its been set up ect ect ect

kamikazee83

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Yes it is a fish only tank. The tank has been completely up and running for about two weeks. I'm pretty sure its not cycled thoroughly. Getting the fish out is very difficult. Also I plan on adding some rocks by tomorrow.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Still... difficult is way better than dead. They really should be removed until the tank is cycled fully. The more you stress them, the more likely they will develop ich, and tangs a a huge target for ich...
You are also asking for a collapse with fish that size and a lot of that rock only balanced up there.

Why didn't you finishing cycling the tank before you added fish? Adding more rock is not going to make it cycle any faster. 270g is a LOT of water! It is going to take time.

Truly not looking to keep saying negative things, but the crushed coral is going to cause issues down the road by trapping lots of detritus. The tank is beautiful and I'm sure that when it is all done it will be a wonderful home for your fish, but a few things need to be fixed first.

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Yes it is a fish only tank. The tank has been completely up and running for about two weeks. I'm pretty sure its not cycled thoroughly. Getting the fish out is very difficult. Also I plan on adding some rocks by tomorrow.

To be more accurate the plumbing has been set up for 1 week, and the only live thing in the tank was 10lbs of live sand. And the 39 lbs of live rock he added on friday Dec 19, 2008.

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Truly not looking to keep saying negative things, but the crushed coral is going to cause issues down the road by trapping lots of detritus. The tank is beautiful and I'm sure that when it is all done it will be a wonderful home for your fish, but a few things need to be fixed first.

Crushed coral was added because regular sand could not be added in greater quantities. This tank has a baffled overflow, it goes under a divider before it goes over the overflow chamber.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: