tocan

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is about six month old. My coral is doing well and my fish are happy. However I am having a huge issue with hair Algae. I have 10 crabs that could only eat so much. It seems to only grow on the sand and the back wall of my nano. All of my rock have a little but not much to speak of. I converted my middle portion of sump on the nano into a refigium to try to help. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

danny13oy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I had 1 emerald crab and 15 astrea snails when I had the green hair algae boom in my 15-gallon nano ... They are awesome hair algae removers. Fuzzy chitons is another option .. Check out reefcleaners.org

tocan

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way on the tap water. I use r/o D-I from the LFS. I have my 150 HQI on for nine hours and my 9w 10k light on four twelve but that just lights up the fuge at the back of my nano. I have about four snails one of which is a turbo snail and and emerald crab that I never see. It got so bad in my tank that I had to take out my Korlia 1 and clean it out becuase it was not pushing water. Its weird that it only grows on certain parts of my tank and not other parts. I heard that adding more calcium could help but I never read anything about that. I really cant complain this is the only issue Ive really have had seince the setup. Should I do 50 percent water change or is that to much for the tank?

Last edited:

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
24g Nano with sunpod 150w Hqi - fluval 305 in place of the powerhead - fuge in the middle chamber-

are you having a problem in the tank you are describing in your signature?^^^^

if so, are running the fluval on the tank? what is in it? how often do you change media if any? any chance of built up debris in there

danny13oy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
are the "certain areas" dead spots where you koralia doesn't circulate to? ... this could be a possible cause to consider amongst other factors.

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
hair algae at six months is almost a given. Tanks go through various cycles, aside from the nitrogen cycle, and I would bet that you will next battle cyanobacteria. The key to getting rid of algae and keeping it away is nutrient control.

I would suggest aggressive manual removal, followed by water changes and successive lights out periods lasting a few days, with more water changes afterward. feed quality food, as most foods contain excessive phosphates and keep up on your routine maintenance.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: