S

steveo32

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Not positive but I do believe Jellyfish need a specific type of tank. Not only species wise but one that is specifically built for them. Check out envisons acrylics. James has a section on Jellyfish tanks. They are circular and expensive LOL :tongue1:. I think it has to do with the filtration and keeping food suspended in the water colum. But if you're going to go all out with it, it would be a cool set up.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Those are aggressive animals, and while they might be somewhat reef safe to coral, they are definately not fish safe. Both jellyfish and squid or anything of that nature are natural predators, and thus fall into the species only tank column. When you get into squid or octopus you can only have one or they will kill/eat each other depending on species. Jellyfish will not survive long in a rectangular reef tank due to their swim pattern either which is why they are usually kept in round tanks.

If your asking where to purchase them as well as ask if they are reef safe your definately not doing any research at all into the purchase. Asking a question about them here without any previous info isn't "doing research" either. You won't always get a 100% correct or guided answer. Researching is something you should be doing with any fish or coral your putting into your tank, whether it be 5$ damsel or 2000$ angel. You should not be following the "Learn by doing" mentality once it comes to living organisms.

Sorry about the somewhat negative post bobby but its warranted.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
By the way, once you get into the Squid family or jellyfish family, they require constant live food feedings and alot of maintenance to keep water quality very high. Its alot of work Even though you can only be able to keep 1 in the tank. When you go octopus they require alot of attention. Squid and octopus are smart animals that require mental stimulation through hunting habits and surroundings. Think of it as an underwater puppy. You will be spending 2-6 hours playing and feeding the animal daily if you do end up ever setting up a tank for one.

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I keep an octopus in my reef and it is a very crazy thing to do considering almost all my fish are worth over $100 and some over $400..
I find that when keeping and octopus they will kill fish if they see them a competion for food almost instantly(that night)... So I only feed it live crabs that the fish don't even look at...
But on another note I'm probably considered on of the crazy people here and what works for me might not work for you...
Happy Reefing..

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
there is a kind of jellyfish...forget the name...mangrove jelly? upside down jellyfish? At any rate, its not active in the water column like other jellyfish, but rests upside down on the bottom. It has zoozanthellae, and I believe they can be kept in a tank, if the lighting is intense...and I don't think they could live in a tank with a lot of water movement.

S

steveo32

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Also try getting in touch with Domboski, I believe he is the resident wierd animal keeper (lol/JK). At any rate he is knowledgeable on in this area. I mean check out his threads, he knows his stuff, to keep what he has.

h20 freak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is a kind of jellyfish...forget the name...mangrove jelly? upside down jellyfish? At any rate, its not active in the water column like other jellyfish, but rests upside down on the bottom. It has zoozanthellae, and I believe they can be kept in a tank, if the lighting is intense...and I don't think they could live in a tank with a lot of water movement.

I think you mean this. I don't know how often LA gets them.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: