onegreenray

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
The only place I have had that grow in my tank is on the back glass and the filter return. I added a 6-inch clam covered in it. It took my Mexican red leg hermits a matter of two days to completely remove all of it. In other words go out and get a bunch of them. Only thing I ever found eats that stuff religiously.

Sandyp1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I read somewhere that green hair algae eats up the phosphates in the tank. I just set up a 65g Red Sea Max with my old live rock and have the same problem. Waving grass all over the place. I added 2 Sally Lightfoot crabs and about 2 dozen Red Leg hermits. It looks like its going away slowly ,but its only been about 4 days. Be careful when pulling out the algae by hand, as anything floating will just re-attach itself and grow again. My phosphates and nitrates are 0, but that can be decieving as the algae is probably absorbing it. Try the crabs and if you pull any out by hand, net whatever is floating and use clean water to rinse your fingers before you put them back in the tank. It might take 2 or 3 weeks, but it should be gone by then.

saltyfish180

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hair allgie

HEY there, i have had a problem in the past and tyied every thing and the only thing that worked for me was to gey a bucket of water from the tank befor a water change and took out the real bad rocks and scrubbed them with a tooth brush. rince real good in a seprit bucket and replaced the rock in your aquarium. turn your light back to around6 hrs aday.then i put this pad in my sump that has charcol and other stuff that removes a lot of bad stuff like phosfate,nitrate ,and so on.after i did that the tank was mint again. i wont lie it took me a couple of hours but it worked great. good luck. saltyfish180:eek:

mstrpln03

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Your water parameters were probably the start of the problem, but if your bulbs are a year old it's definitely time to change. I assume your T5HO setup is 10k/actinic the 10k's will lose color temp after a while and hair algae thrives on natural daylight wavelenghts (5k-7k).

alexa

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a sea hair for two months and he didnt die until all my algae was gone. for twenty bucks he was well worth it. Check your phos, if its too high you could add a reactor for 30 bucks plus 20 for the media.

Semibfy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Although believe in SeaHare but why unneccesaarily support the import of such knowingly that such cant survive long time in captivity. What if algae returen later on, buy another SeaHare?
I dont know exactly what kind of algae, how about small Foxface which I found to be better grazer than Tang/angel, that is if tank is big enough to handle.
I caught algae blenny off the shore last summer and I happen to catch one which prefers handout than lawn mowing, lol! Agae Blenny can bother Clams at somepoint.
My choice will be small foxface and can trade off when it outgrows the tank

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Where in LI are you ? I could use a seahare and would take it from you when its done in your tank, if you want, and then pass it along when its done in mine.

cthoughts1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
402   0   0
Man I had the same problem.. Mine was caused because my lights were on more than they should have been as well as other reasons... I began leaving the lights off more and more until I finally discovered the Sally Lightfoot crabs.. I got two of those little guys.. They cleaned everything up in about two weeks.. They were constantly eating.. Now I leave the lights on all day and into the night in hopes that more hair alge will grow so those little guys will continue eating it.. I may even have to go out and get some algae waffers for them because they cleaned every thing up so well... They've even began eating brine shrimp now that the algae is gone.. lol. I'd put my money on them to help you solve your problem (plus they're a lot nicer looking than seahares IMO).. Good luck..

Last edited:

TheOrganical1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Don't be mean, it happens to the best of us. Just do your best to get ur nitrates and phosphates down to 0 and when you do your next water change the stuff should siphen right off and never come back, is this an appropriate time to mention vodka or sugar dosing, idk much about it personally but it is a nitrate thing right?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: