Glassman 1281

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all? I have had my tank going with great success(about a year) up until about 2 weeks ago.I have had a green hair algea major problem. ITS EVERYWHERE... I did my 20% water changes YES with RODI water,all my tests came back good, I have been feeding marine flake i have cut down to once every 3 days, i got 1 blue hippo, 2 clowns ,1 wrasse,3 chromis...
i only have about 10 snails 10 crabs 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 blood shrimp... My lights where on from 3-11pm i cut back to 2-9pm I have t-5 retros... What the heck will this go away or what???? The last time i did a water change i tried to get all that i can with my hands but it seeems to come right back`in about a week Like crazy.............Why all of a sudden???

Attachments

• downsized_0222091517.jpg
    downsized_0222091517.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 804

18oreefer

+270
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I wonce grew a whole tank of this stuff. After much batteling it is all gone. In the time it took to get rid of it i tried everything, EVERYTHING. The only thing that will work is getting yout phos and nitrates to 0. In the course of my struggle i read an article, of which i can not remember where it was. None the less it stressed that this stuff can live on fractions of a part of nitrate or phosphate. I had sea hares but i had no luck with them the longest one lived was 2 weeks and they didnt eat a whole lot. But thats not to say you wont have better luck. The root cause is nutrients nutrients nutrients. Get rid of them and the algea will soon follow. Best of luck in your fight.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
I wonce grew a whole tank of this stuff. After much batteling it is all gone. In the time it took to get rid of it i tried everything, EVERYTHING. The only thing that will work is getting yout phos and nitrates to 0. In the course of my struggle i read an article, of which i can not remember where it was. None the less it stressed that this stuff can live on fractions of a part of nitrate or phosphate. I had sea hares but i had no luck with them the longest one lived was 2 weeks and they didnt eat a whole lot. But thats not to say you wont have better luck. The root cause is nutrients nutrients nutrients. Get rid of them and the algea will soon follow. Best of luck in your fight.

:iamwithstI'm with 18oreefer :) Great advice :D

Glassman 1281

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no sunlight at all its in my basement with no windows... I just installed a Phosban reator, I just checked nitrates 0 ?? Yes the t5s are about a year not even maybe 10 months.... I cut the fedding the flakes to every other day and a pinch..... I have not checked or tested for phosphates but took advice from a fellow reefer to add one anyway.. My RODI does have a TDS meter and it reads 0 coming out. Its weird.. I know my pic sucks but thats all i got........ I just realized tonight that there looks like tiny bubbles are in the hair too...... Help???? Is everthing going to crash? How long can i stop feeding???? Maybe thats it? Im going to do another water change this weekend.....

18oreefer

+270
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
It is going to take some time for your phos to go down and you will continue to have algea, but it will go away. IT WILL TAKE TIME. Your tank is in no danger. just keep pullin out what you can when you do water changes and pull out the clumps when you have time.

boonani

Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm still a noob but you mentioned your light bulbs being about a year old. I been reading that old lightbulbs can contribute to algae growth.

pmui

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
my hair algae would put your to shame. It looked like a Kelp forest. My 120gal. tank was filled with H.A. on my lie rock, power head. This was due to the fact I have not changed the water for 9mo+. I just keep topping it off w/ RO/DI.
The way i got rid of it was, 20% water change, hand pull as much H.A. as i could out of the tank. Change the bulbs. Use this stuff from Blue life phosphate control.
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.aspx?idproduct=BL2131
I used the whole bottle in about 30days, Had my skimmer running at optimal speed. It pulled out thick goop for the whole month. I then added a phos-reactor to the sump. Now there is not a trace of Hair algae ever since. I still get diatom on the glass.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: