cisco1717

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
I've heard alot of good things about LED lights except the prices they go for. Are they really worth it and are they better than MH and T5. and what makes LED lights better than other forms of lighting.

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I make 3 catagories of LEDs for this hobby:
1)Moonlight
2)Power Actinics
3)Regular Main Light

A)LED is mostly driven by low voltage so when the light fell in the tank it won't shock your fish nor yourself.
B)Most LED can dim even my moonlight now can be dimmed
C)LED can be scaled very closely to the wavelength you need. What wavelength you need? I wish some marine scientists will step up.
D)Light generated by LED is very low heat and in most cases will not heat up your tank so controlling the temperature in your tank become much easier and save a lot of chiller usage. Temperature is a major factor in tank disasters!
E)For the same wattage of energy supplied, LED technology generally output 2.5 times light than a fluorescent bulb.
F)With Power Actinics, the wavelength is quite pure and thus your coral looks sharper than the actinics you get from PC, T5, VHO that are base on plasma fluorescent. You see a white haze using the fluorescent technology while you see pure clear blue water when using LED.

Conclusion:

Anyone can debate about the viability of the mainlight as almost not a single marine scientist has told the public about the exact wavelength that the coral needs(mind you that agriculture scientists have proven LED is 80% more efficient than the MH).

Power actinics is "clearly" winning the actinics race. For those non believer's, they should just see it for once, and they will change their hearts. One can tell with their own eyes in a split second-no need to wait for the coral to grow and tank to crash to tell the difference like the main light debate.

Moonlight, I find no better choice than LED at all.

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Are 460 nm Actnic Blue LEDs good for a moonlight effect?
yes
460 is very coomon in led blue and most coral fluorescent with it.

Taken with 465nm I remembered
SeaHorse_Like_to_Hang_Out_in_Mushroom_Forrest_P1020951_copy.jpg

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Are 460 nm Actnic Blue LEDs good for a moonlight effect?
oh forgot to mention if you are plannning diy, skip the 5mm, you need at least .2W high flux type to have enough intensity. If you can use 1W Power LED, it would even be better.

I will bring a sample from the ebay to demonstrate in the swap which uses 5mm SUPER OLD TECHNOLOGY(15-20 years back) and you can see the light is nowhere near the Power LEDs even the 5mm panel uses more energy.

DHaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
LED can pretty much match the PAR of MH these days, especially if you use optics. The problem is the initial expense - it's coming down but is still quite high for a large setup.

emmanuel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
LED can pretty much match the PAR of MH these days, especially if you use optics. The problem is the initial expense - it's coming down but is still quite high for a large setup.
yes its quite high but think of the savings not just for electrical consumption but cooling and replacing bulbs .
Well the cooling (in warmer months)might be a wash because now my heaters are on a lot more (in cooler months)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: