Rating - 100%
27   0   0
sharkbait, i did state that i could be wrong, and that was just my observations. i would also like to put another question out there. given the huge volume of ocean and the minimal beach contact, how effective is wave action skimming really on the worlds oceans? also, when the tide comes in will it then pick up the skimmate? i dont have the answers either way, and im wondering if someone has these answers or could point to a site that has researched this field.
when the ocean skims it is on hight tide, low tide will give the skimmate time to dry up and then the tide will come back. i dont have a site but i have a book from a couple of college courses i took on marine biology, the titles are,
biological oceanography, by carol lalli,and timothy parsons.
marine biology, by peter castro

people can learn alot from reading these books. if u know me or have met me, u wouldnt think i would be a person to read, u would think i am a high school drop out. lol thats

and sorry if i offended u switch420 in any way, i was being sarcastic when i said ur a newbie in my theory. lol does 420 mean....?:smokin::smokin: lol!! rasta man. just asking cuz u know april 20, 420 national weed day

SWITCH420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OHHHHHHHHHH yea!!! i know all about april 20th lol not offended at all. i am just a lil ruff around the edges. i was born and raised in paterson not a real nice place so some times i get a lil amped up easy. lets smoke a blunt!!!!!!!!!!

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
oh, i dont do that! i just know about it. i was just asking. but i would like to see ur tank in person, i live in clifton, not originally from there, but live here. didnt want my kids to grow up in brooklyn so we decided to move here. let me know. a beer is more like what ill be down for.

sharkbait69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
sharkbait, i did state that i could be wrong, and that was just my observations. i would also like to put another question out there. given the huge volume of ocean and the minimal beach contact, how effective is wave action skimming really on the worlds oceans? also, when the tide comes in will it then pick up the skimmate? i dont have the answers either way, and im wondering if someone has these answers or could point to a site that has researched this field.

Its been awhile since I took marine bio and science in college. The simplest way that I can break natural protein skimming down is.
You, as a single person look at a tiny spot in time at where you stand and see just a fraction of natural protein skimming. This one single type of natural filtration is taking place world wide. We are but a micron looking over this ocean and seeing the end result.
The tidal flow, wave and wind along with the gravitational pull of the earth all play a role in the foaming action of the NSW in nutrient rich waters. As the foam is blown on shore its starts to break down. The wind dries the foam making it more of a solid. As the solid breaks down, the sand, also a natural filters allows the nutrients and pollutants to settle ,seep and collect on the beach.
Along with the aforementioned, marine life in general also work in removing pollutants and nutrients from the water. From minute, tiny organisms to clams, mussel, marine plant life to shore plant life are working in conjunction to absorb and remove nutrients and pollutants.
While natural skimming may not be anywhere near as effective as a protein skimmer in a closed system, it still performs a vital function to the ocean.
Take the foaming action of a skimmer add turf scrubber and I truly believe one could a very effective nutrient removing system.
Some argue that protein skimming strips a closed system of phyto and other forms of micro food that natural grows from refugiums. That I believe that, but some argue it. I can only imagine that a turf scrubber would add more micro foods to a closed systems since the idea of growing algae on a screen with light is pretty much close to a refugium, only drier.
The last part I had to add, since I?m interested in the turf scrubber.

sharkbait69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
i didnt mean it in that way! if u read further i said it was my theory in parentheses. it was my guess he was. but i didnt say it to insult anyone. pleases no instigating!!

No, no. I was not making a statement to start a fight. It was more of 'am i a newbie cause of post count?' i was not insulted by a post. again my post was stricktly a question.
If it turned out that your post was how you felt that's fine by me.
i cant change the world.

sharkbait69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
when the ocean skims it is on hight tide, low tide will give the skimmate time to dry up and then the tide will come back. i dont have a site but i have a book from a couple of college courses i took on marine biology, the titles are,
biological oceanography, by carol lalli,and timothy parsons.
marine biology, by peter castro

people can learn alot from reading these books. if u know me or have met me, u wouldnt think i would be a person to read, u would think i am a high school drop out. lol thats

Good books. Your right, they are a good text for people to read. We also used a book by Dr David L Porter.

18oreefer

+270
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
skimmerman, sharkbait, thanks for the info. i would love to read those books but it might have to wait till after christmas. they are pricey reads, but i will check them out down the road.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Ok some important things to remember in this thread:

1. Shift keys work and allow you to capitalize words at the beginning of a sentence.

2. Proper names should also have the first letter capitalized.

3. The following symbols need to be used to show where sentences end and where to pause while reading aforementioned sentence:

. ? ! ,

Thanks! :weekago:

sharkbait69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Dude it's not just you...............................
i just dont care but i mean that in the nicest way a person can say it with out being nasty or rude i really like that some are willing to help others learn grammar on the board its so nice especially around the holidays being christmas and all i would like to thank everyone whos thoughtfulness and willing to help others without prejudice is amazing can I say how hard it is to write this and not add a period at all I had to keep hit the back space to remove the periods and commas god I cant even stop writing I dont know where the end of this sentence is I really hope I can just reach over and hit the enter key my eyes are killing me as I write this and im getting carpal tunnel from not even taking a break as I write this

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: