4Fish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First and foremost, I love this site, and reading everyone's thoughts on reef keeping. I was thinking back a few years ago regarding a few things:

1. Remember when under gravel filters were the way to go, how about
Aqua King Supreme filters

2. Then wet dry filters, then the berlin method, deep sand beds.......

3. Remember when bristle worms were bad, I would spend endless nights
staying up late, armed with a flash light and tweezers, to rid these
beasts from my tank.

4. Remember when being able to keep Aptasias alive was an
accomplishment, I would buy live rock with some big ones, and
individually feed them.

5. Remember when adding charcoal to reef tanks was a crime.

6. Remember Ozone!!!

7. Remember when we would hang on every word from Julian Sprung.

8. And who would think that our beloved Sea Monkeys would turn out
to be a food staple!

4Fish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I liked your post. I only use tap water and my skimmer only works well for 20 mintues as well!!! I have been keping tanks for 30 years. It is all about patience.....and water changes.

QUESTIONMARC

www.Questionmarc.com
Rating - 100%
376   0   0
remember when.. lol.. ahhh sh*t!! let me at this one..

.. when there was no internet so you had to rush to your lfs on sat. afternoon and hope to bump into someone that might have been a tad successful in this hobby..

.. when the oceanic 6 first came out.. that was the "skimmer" of choice..

.. when i save up 2 months of pay for the first etss skimmer built with ugly red acrylic..

.. when there was no names of zoas.. all were sold the same..

.. when bio balls and crush coral was good

.. when there was no such thing as "top off" and you had to constantly add water to your system so that the skimmer would always function properly.. UP.. downnn.. Up.. down..

.. when me and richie (rstimeout) used to race to open the bags in westchester pet to watch all the corals come out to see what was cool.. richie always used to take the cool ones.. pr*ck!

.. when it was easy to do airport runs and fish and wildlife weren't slapping people with 200,000$ fines because the hobby got so grimey with everyone trying to sneak in rare corals..

.. when PC's were the big new thing.. lol.. wow.. im old..

.. when there was only 1 saltwater store in the entire state of NY..

.. when the day i brought my grandmother along to buy 200lbs for live rock at the GREAT PRICE of 2 dollars a pound and she told the guy forget it.. ill give him plenty of rock right out of my garden for freeee.. lol.. i will NEVER forget the look on that guys face.. to this day i'm sure if he was here he would remember me in his living room with my grandmother tryign to explain to her what live rock was.. man my grandmother is old school.. what a hustler.. got the rock for $1 a pound. lol.

.. if you were successful at keeping a clam.. you were a pro reefer!

.. when barnett was in NY..

.. when the skilter 400 was the hottest thing to use for a tank with no sump..

.. the FIRST oceanic reef ready 65 gallon was introduced.. whooaaaaa.. that was big.

.. when i got so frustrated with losing money I sold all my stuff to some bum who owned a store named silent world on Tremont for "store credit".. a week later he closed and dissapeared... I C U on here homie.. I C U around.. small world homie.. it ALWAYS catches up with you.. you can bet were gonna catch up sometime.. BANK ON THAT.

.. damn..

been at this a long time... it definitely has come a long way.

Last edited:

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Believe it or not, people still use some of the methods listed above today.

That is correct. I still use a UG filter (in reverse) and Ozone. The still running tank was started before Julian Sprung was born :tongue1:

We used to know a group of divers who would dive in vintage 1960's gear.

Some of my dive gear is still from then. :shhh:

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
pulsing xenias are still the coolest thing i've ever seen. to this day, we still can't explain why they do it!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: