Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I am in the process of setting up my Marineland 150 36x36x27 and in need of some lighting suggestions. This will be reef tank and will mainly be SPS. I don't want to have an issue with lighting at the bottom. I have a few ideas in my head.

2 x 250W Lumenmax Elite w/ icecap ballast or 1 x 400W Lumenmax Elite w/ icecap ballast (Radium 20K)

2 x 39W VHO Icecap SLR w/ 660 ballast (UL ATI Blue Plus)

or

I currently have a 36 Aquactinics TX5 39w x 5 and I just add another for a total of 10 T5's (390W)

My feeling is that I need to go with MH due to the depth of the tank. Not sure if the T5 setup would be enough. This maybe a totally bad idea and any thoughts are much appreciated and pics of a deep tank would be admired. Thanks and happy reefing!

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
i have the 93g cube which is 30x30. i use two ROIII reflectors on it and they give me great coverage. i would imagine the lumenarcs would work just fine...also, ten t5 bulbs will cost a friking fortune to change...

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i think 2 lumenmax elites might be excessive.

lumenmax elites are designed for 24x24 spread. Maybe use 1 larger reflector like a lumenarc or lumen bright?

T5s are plenty light for 27" height if thats the route you want to take. For this tank 1 MH bulb in a large reflector would be more suitable in my opinion.

Last edited:

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I have the 200DD and I setup 12 T5 bulbs. The coverage is more than adequate in my tank. It's four bulbs on three 660 ballasts. I have some SPS on the floor and have seen some nice growth. It's a matter of preference. LED's are the new thing have you thought about them. I have T5's and love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was quick, Thanks for the input. I do love my T5's, but I have an aquapod with a radium 20k bulb and love it too. I like the single bulb idea that wes mentioned and maybe with a 14K bulb andT5 supplement, so I can tinker with color.

Single 250W or 400W?

Galantra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I am setting up the same 150g tank DD tank, which will be SPS dominate I want to go with LEDs but just unsure at the moment but the lighting I will be doing will be a single 400w MH using a lumen pendant with 4 36" T5s

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see someone else has one of these tanks. I have been searching for pics and have found 3 different tanks in the world. You will more than likely have yours up before I will, shoot me a pic if you have anything. I will probably follow suit on the setup, but would like to see a 250W on a tank.

xvinny631x

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have the 150 and have a 400 watt radium with an icecap ballast.. It deff works nicely... i also have 2 250's on it but dont use them as much because of the heat..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: