32Bit_Fish

Would you consider this an algae turf scrubber? There are no green algaes on it, but a lot of redish stuff (coraline?).

I use a floss filter bag and cut it in half, half of it is inside of the filter, other half hangs into the tank. It seems dirty, do I need to wash it in tap water on a weekly basis?

Also please ID this SPS for me, someone gave it to me for free. Not sure it will survie under my T-5 lighting.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2078.jpg
    IMG_2078.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_2079.jpg
    IMG_2079.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_2081.jpg
    IMG_2081.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 305

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
what turf scrubber? looks like the output to a filter, and that looks like a montipora digitata, can live under t5 if all the way at top depending on other factors: high output? wattage?

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
If the algae are tough to remove, not as easy as simply shaking in the water, it functions like an turf algae scrubber. You should scrub half of it once a week. However, your material seems hard to do that. Don't rinse the whole thing at once if those are really the turf algae. If they are cyano, they are slimmy and easy to remove by shaking them in water.

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Thanks for all the input. I saw online pics of people's algae turf scrubber, it has a lot of green algaes under very bright light. However, there isn't any greens on mine. So I'm not sure whether I am doing it the right.

I have a Sundial T-5 4x39w HO.

DHaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
an algae scrubber to the small scale you are doing won't be very effective. also, you need water running over rough plastic to grow the "turf algae". imo, algae scrubbers are more trouble than they are worth.

SWITCH420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not really a scrubber.need more surface area and a ruffed up screen 4 the algae to hold on to and grow.if set up right they work great imo. the one on my 90 is doing a super job.how big is ur tank.looks like a digi.

DHaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
32Bit - if you do a scrubber, be very careful that you design it in a way that prevents flooding, or any water leaking onto your power strips. If done wrong these things can be a disaster.

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took out the floss filter pads and washed them in my tank water while doing a w/c. It collected a lot of dirt from the water.

It seems complicated to build a true algae turf scrubber.

Also, if the SPS started turning white at the buttom, is that mean it is dying? What about the whiteish color on the tip of the coral?

mcnuggget

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a hob filter.
"turning white at the buttom" means its receding. its receding cause your par(particularly ca and alk/ph) is off among other things.
stick with softies pls.

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a hob filter.
"turning white at the buttom" means its receding. its receding cause your par(particularly ca and alk/ph) is off among other things.
stick with softies pls.

It's not turning white yet. I was just asking and trying to gain some knowledge on SPS.

Well, I got it for free anyway.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: