Eleven11

11:11
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So I came across the Tap Water Filter from Drs Foster & Smith. It has some good reviews of people that use it instead of an ro/di system. I did a quick search and didnt' see anything so I was curious if anyone on here has some first hand experience. It's a more affordable option if the results are as claimed and the reviews seem very good. Just curious.

Below is the description from the website.

EDIT: I figured I'd give some background on the tank it'll be used for. I'm setting up a tank for my parents and as they are new to the hobby and won't be able to care for particular corals, their 30 gallon tank will likely feature some shrooms and some lps. I'm looking for a more affordable solution for them and this seems like a good one.

*Give all your aquarium pets a healthy home in deionized water*Set up easily in no time - just hook up to any faucet (no tools needed!)*Easily remove impurities and dissolved solids from your tap water

logo-API.gif
Features super activated carbon and color-changing ion-exchange resin. The filter gradually changes color as it's working - proving effective filter performance and illustrating remaining filter life. Comes fully assembled and attaches to any faucet. Produces an average of 25 to 125 gallons of perfect aquarium water, depending on the mineral content of your tap water, before a new cartridge is needed.
The tap water filter uses a disposable, easy-to-replace cartridge to remove sediments, chlorine, chloramine, heavy metals, organic chemicals, and inorganic ions from tap water - creating contaminant-free deionized water for reef, saltwater, freshwater, and planted aquariums. Complete with universal faucet adapter, extension tube, connector, Electro-Right, and pH adjuster.

Last edited:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I used it when I first started in the hobby. I would/will not recommend it!!! RO/DI is the way to go. With the "Tap Water Filter", you might as well be using tap water. You will not get the clean water you will get from an RO/DI. Besides it does give the impression that it is a more affordable filter compared to the RO/DI, but when you factor in the constant replacement of cartridges it really isn't that much cheaper. RO/DI cartridges last a whole lot longer then the "Tap Water Filter" cartridge.

Hey, remember they also claim the "SeaClone Protein Skimmer" to be great also.LOL

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
In this hobby its like any other hobby I ever got involved in and the saying plays true on a DAILY basis...the saying is this, its short,sweet and to the point with no beating around the bush

----YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR---- if it costs less, it DEFINATELY does less.

Eleven11

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Well, heres the thing. I agree that if it costs less, it's likely to be less effective. In my previous tank I use tap water only (in addition to the live water I purchased from the store) and my tank was fine. My nitrates were low because I had mangroves that did a pretty good job of it. All in all, my tank went into a state of decline because of a lack of time and interest on my part and was sold. Are nitrates the main issue with a inferior system like this tap water filter? Again, the mangroves did wonders for me in keeping the nitrates down. Even had a blue sponge that was thriving until I got way too busy to keep up with the tank. Let me know what you guys think.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Nitrites are the most dangerous to your fish but ALL levels will be instrumental in maintaining a healthy aquarium you said your parents are NEW and are not going to be able to care for some- so why make it harder on them to care for what they can? You can get a small 20 Gallon Per Day and thats all theyll ever need. Go with RO/DI and have a fresh start with 0 TDS and other impurities in the source water. I just wouldnt take the chance of them getting fed up from dying livestock because I decided to go with cheap alternative to an RO/DI unit, but its all up to you. --AGAIN if it costs less it definately does less.

Just my opinion but go with what you like.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have used the tap water purifier for many years....easily 10 or more. My tank is in great condition. Keep in mind though, that its usefulness is dependent on your water quality. My tap water is excellent...I only use it to remove the trace amounts of phosphate that would otherwise accumulate in the tank from topping off. (I learned that the hard way...my first years I relied on straight tap water...and got a nasty hair algae outbreak along with high phosphates.) My water is so clean that I only go through about 2, never more than 3 cartridges a year...Obviously if you go through it faster, or have poor tap water, RO is the way to go.

Eleven11

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'm leaning towards RO but again, I'm just checking out all the possibilities. Just like you I've used all tap water before and had success with decent growth to all corals which I attribute to my mangroves. I understand that RO/DI is the best way to go but as this tank will literally only house lr, some shrooms, gsp and maybe frogspawn, I think it might be okay. We'll just have to see.

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Nothing wrong with using this filter, but it is certainly not cheap - in the long run...

This is a DI based filter, the media will exhaust quickly if your source water is high in TDS. All last stage(s) of an RO/DI uses similar DI beads to catch whatever the RO didn't take out in the first place.

The biggest problem with this filter is the user typically don't know when they should replace the DI, leading to use of high TDS water over time.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: