Fielder0024

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I had my 2 false percs for about 2 weeks when I put in a pink BTA the other day. Monday night they first started noticing it and the big one started to host it. One of the first times he brushed against the anemone he swam away from it and started flailing for like 10 seconds but was fine after that. It didnt stop him and he kept trying to get closer to the anemone until finally he did it. The next morning I woke up and found the clown dead at the back of the tank on the furthest end from the anemone. I figured it mustve had to do with him getting shocked so I figured maybe the next one would be fine. Last night my other clown also tried hosting the anemone but I never saw it go crazy like the first one. I figured I would wake up and everything would be fine but instead I woke up to find it dead crammed between two rocks. Can anyone explain what happened? Also, I always leave my neon lights on at night so I dont know if that affected what happened.

topmav1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Fielder. Before you lose money and waste corals and fish trust me and be patient. I don't know why your clowns died but it certainly wasn't from your anemone. Your going down a costly path here. I learned with my first tank and didn't set up another one until I was really ready to sit and wait things out looking at an empty tank with just rock for a few months. The foundation is the most important part of your tank so take your time and stop adding things. And as you read in your other post clowns will or will not host and if they do, they'll host anything. My clowns host every coral in my tank including a gbta which split into 4. Now one of my clowns jumps around from on to the next and a frogspawn and yellow polyps, etc.

That being said have you had any major temp swings?

Fielder0024

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Fielder. Before you lose money and waste corals and fish trust me and be patient. I don't know why your clowns died but it certainly wasn't from your anemone. Your going down a costly path here. I learned with my first tank and didn't set up another one until I was really ready to sit and wait things out looking at an empty tank with just rock for a few months. The foundation is the most important part of your tank so take your time and stop adding things. And as you read in your other post clowns will or will not host and if they do, they'll host anything. My clowns host every coral in my tank including a gbta which split into 4. Now one of my clowns jumps around from on to the next and a frogspawn and yellow polyps, etc.

That being said have you had any major temp swings?

The temp has normally been constant around 78 with the occasional rise to 80 because of the heat outside. The reason I assume it isnt a problem with the tank is because i have 3 other fish in there that are supposedly a lot less hardy than the clowns and theyre doing fine.

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Were you using established water and cured rock when you started the tank?

Not anything I could really think of that killed those clowns... assuming your tank parameters are off a good test kit.

What are the other fish in the tank?

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
i am guessing u have money to throw away and u dont care for the animals that u try and kill u were giving good advice i for one like anenomes+clowns i have a few if ur tank is not ready or u dont provide the right envirment for the animals u want to keep will never stay alive

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I dont think theres any reason here to keep throwing hand grenades at him, hes had quite a few, why dont we shift to the ok lets get you through this now that youve made your mistake approach? Weve all made mistakes some way bigger than others.

Fielder are you using a GOOD test kit? - salifert, elos ,etc? or API? API tests are good for somethings but not others. I wouldnt use a lfs unless you know them personally, to test your water because Ive seen the old your nitrates are high try adding this, this, that and then some of this and the person leaves with 50 bucks worth of stuff that they could have done without.

If you arent using a better brand of kits- get some and retest your parameters. You made your mistake- now learn from it and make sure the system is as stable as you believe it is. It was too soon to add the nem yes, but I think that if its doing well- anemones are more sensitive than clowns to water conditions so its weird that a hardy fish would pass and the nem wouldnt. Some pics would help also.

It is weird that they only died after trying to be hosted by the nem, but you also dont have an established tank to go off of, your tank is still very new. Like jon had said to have 5 fish and an anemone in a 24 G, especially a brand new one was kinda pushin your luck and walkin the line between possible success and more likely disaster. Good luck and best wishes to get through this and hopefully nothing but success in the future.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I had my 2 false percs for about 2 weeks when I put in a pink BTA the other day. Monday night they first started noticing it and the big one started to host it. One of the first times he brushed against the anemone he swam away from it and started flailing for like 10 seconds but was fine after that. It didnt stop him and he kept trying to get closer to the anemone until finally he did it. The next morning I woke up and found the clown dead at the back of the tank on the furthest end from the anemone. I figured it mustve had to do with him getting shocked so I figured maybe the next one would be fine. Last night my other clown also tried hosting the anemone but I never saw it go crazy like the first one. I figured I would wake up and everything would be fine but instead I woke up to find it dead crammed between two rocks. Can anyone explain what happened? Also, I always leave my neon lights on at night so I dont know if that affected what happened.

:( Poor clowns. Sorry to hear that things are going that way in your tank. I'm really new to all this and don't have much to offer in way of advice, but it does sound like you need to keep testing the tank parameters, doing consistent water changes and giving it some time before adding new things to the tank.

Clowns have mucus coverings that protect them from the sting of anemones, but maybe that mucus was somehow compromised?

tjake68

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
evryone was a newbie once give the guy a break yea it sucks animals are dying but no one was born knowing this stuff remeber when u started your first tank who wanted to wait. i know that he was warrned but sometimes no matter what u say people wont listen hopefully lesson learned. All im saying is the site is supposed to be friendlie and help not make people scared to ask questions for fear of getting bashed

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
its not about bashing i like the anenomes and clowns so it suck when u see that some one is not ready and they jump the gun and it kills the animals involve..i remmember i little while back i think jcolon if am not wrong wanted to frag his carpet in 4 and we mr jump on his case for it..its just so he dont kill nice trying to learn

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
i am guessing u have money to throw away and u dont care for the animals that u try and kill u were giving good advice i for one like anenomes+clowns i have a few if ur tank is not ready or u dont provide the right envirment for the animals u want to keep will never stay alive

Was just sayin a little harsh well way harsh. Im sure the guys upset as his original post shows. The last thing Id wanna hear while already upset about losing 2 great fish is someone telling me that I didnt care about them or hearing I brought it on myself.

He made mistakes, hopefully he learns and hopefully his tank stabilizes and he has no more bad luck.

As weve stated before fielder pics say 1000 words if you can post pics of the nem would be good- that way people may spot somethin else goin on that you may not see.

and dubs----jcolon was COMPLETELY different he wanted to hack up a living creature into 4 pieces when he had 0 experience and only had that carpet in his tank for 3 weeks, fielder has lost 2 fish and is trying to find out whats going on so it doesnt happen again.

Last edited:

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
I dont think theres any reason here to keep throwing hand grenades at him, hes had quite a few, why dont we shift to the ok lets get you through this now that youve made your mistake approach? Weve all made mistakes some way bigger than others.
I agree, but if he doesn't take anyones advice this is just a watse of time. So far all advice has been ignored.
The tank is probably not cycled so all living things should be removed until it is.

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
basiab that what i was trying to get at maybe i came of a little harsh but he was told it take 6 and 9 moths to have tank that can hold down anenome and he still went ahead with his plan and now he want to figure out how fix the issue as i was told by a fellow reefer there is no short cut in reeefing it will only cost u more if u rush i waited the 9 months and now i have few anenome in my tank shoot ill even give him one when his tank is ready if mine split by then... and jimmy i killed few coral along the way mostly zoas i killed few as matter of fact to the point were i dont even try them ne more for the sake of not wasting money and killing something that dont work for me so i am not a perfect reefer get getting to be a good one

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: