• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so today is probably the 33rd day my tank has been up... yesterday i did some research and i got a firefish.. so when i got i floted it in the 10g tank and then drip acclimated...while in the tank.. i soon realized after 40 mins the drip acclimation took ALOT of my water out and i had no spare water to put back into my tank... the saltwater i had mixed earlier 2 days ago had ammonia in it for some reason.. so i know this was really stupid to do but i put the water into the tank from the bag =(.... how stupid am i??? yell at me all you want i dont blame you..well i also had no choice because the water was like only at 7 gallons and i have a 10 gallon tank... now it's probably at like 9... i am sure though the water at my lfs is clean... it has great reviews and it's best in nj... it has a 9 out of 10 review... and the whole store has knowledgeble staff.. so i called them up and the guy told me it shouldent be a BIG problem But the water had COPPER in it... which is not good for reefs... i am afraid something is happening to my corals... zoanthids still look the same, but took time to open back... mushroom a little closed but looks healthy... my leather looks just awful but it looked awful even before i put the water in... maybe i should do a water change next week?? also i know it's normal for firefish to stay at the bottom, but it's not like in the rocks all the time.. its near the heater and not really swimming.. but it looks really colorful and healthy.. the guy at store said the water was probably too little to have a huge effect.. the water in the bag had around a little less than half a gallon...even less...also can you feed brine shrimp to firfishes?? i know u guys will probably say research on google but i really need some opinions.. this is important.. also the water from the bag was a different sg than in my tank...did this cause stress also to my corals?? im guessing it did

T

THEDLO

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
u should water change asap, like tomorrow...at the latest

tentacles

cephalopod enthusiast
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
Your tank really shouldn't have any fish in it. Do you have a cover for the tank?

Also in the time it took you to write this post, you could have googled "brine shirmp + marine aquarium" and gotten your answer on the first page.

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
u should water change asap, like tomorrow...at the latest

k... i have water mixed but i dont know if it still has ammonia or not... ill test it... if it's ok ill change water... if it has ammonia ill mix new water with salt and the latest i will change is tuesday... ill try my best... the lfs guy said it shouldnt be a big problem. i didnt directly add copper.. it was just the water in the tank that had copper... ill try my best to change water.. how much should i change??? 2 gallons?? 3???

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank really shouldn't have any fish in it. Do you have a cover for the tank?

Also in the time it took you to write this post, you could have googled "brine shirmp + marine aquarium" and gotten your answer on the first page.

i do have a cover.. so the firefish won't jump out... it's cycled already so why shouldnt it have fish in it??

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Wish I could put something constructive but I fear that it would be ignored, plus I am at a loss for anything to say. So I will put this since someone already used LMGTFY.com on you.

facepalm.jpg

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=facepalm

125reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
WOW do you not listen to anything people say.your tank is not cycled after 33 days.you shouldnt add anything to that system for at least 6 to 8 weeks.why are you rushing?are you going to prison or something.and from what i know even a small amount of copper is bad for a reef.dont listen to anything a LFS has to say.they would sell you a baby bumble bee grouper for your 10 gallon if you showed some interest.how much did that firefish cost you.for whatever it cost you i bet you could have bought a book.STOP BUYING LIVESTOCK

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
so today is probably the 33rd day my tank has been up... yesterday i did some research and i got a firefish.. so when i got i floted it in the 10g tank and then drip acclimated...while in the tank.. i soon realized after 40 mins the drip acclimation took ALOT of my water out h

When you drip acclimate you are supposed to drip at a slow rate. I am not sure how much water the firefish was bagged with but doubling that water over an hour would have been sufficient. This is not 3 gallons. ??? I don't know why I am getting involved but had you done any real research, you would have seen that you do not need to drip 3 gallons in 40 mins. :irked:

Last edited:

fallenlordz

Cant hear you under Water
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
The fish temptation was to strong with this one heheh.

You should of waited it out, and give the tank time to fully cycle.

Since that is not a option at this point, I would do some water changes. To bring the levels down.

Hope everything works out for you. :bablefish

T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
lol reefing is a drug...and he just OD, let hope he comes out of this alive :P i

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
if u dont like my thread then dont reply

If you don't like our responses, don't post.

im about to not use this site anymore..

Oh no... anything but that!

u people dont have to threaten me..especially chiefmcfuz.. im sick of this

Who is threatening you? We're trying to help and you keep doing the exact opposite of what people are telling you. You don't need a book, you refuse to search for answers, and you ask questions AFTER you do something instead of beforehand.

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
nanoperson, here is the thing. Just because you don't like being told you are going about it the wrong way doesn't mean you should leave. If you do that it is punishing yourself, not any of us. Stick around, read more a lot more than you post, and we can all laugh about this years down the line when you become a successful reefer. I hope.

T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
nanoperson, here is the thing. Just because you don't like being told you are going about it the wrong way doesn't mean you should leave. If you do that it is punishing yourself, not any of us. Stick around, read more a lot more than you post, and we can all laugh about this years down the line when you become a successful reefer. I hope.

good post, well said.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: