RAYS REEF

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Does anyone have any ideas on how to setup a really nice nature looking aquascape.i am constently looking for that rite look but never satisfied.any ideas peoples.i see alot of people with some really nice scaping....should i try following some pics or something,,idk ,,,lol

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
wheneva i aquascape,, ilike it ,,but when it all falls down,,it looks more natural. mine fell apartand all rocks fell down and i just left it lol i think it looks the best

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
and the shapes of rock, the rock i have in my tank i have been picking pieces over last few years. anytime id see a piece at a store { or albano's house } id nab it knowing what where id place it

Staaan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
At the swap I picked up some of marcorocks... Along with his mortar.. He said the mortar will enable some really nice "architecture" due to the incredibly strong bond it forms... So we'll see. I know exactly what you're talkin about though. I don't have the best eye for stuff like that but my girlfriend does. So I'm gunna be acting like the crane and she'll just tell where to place what. Lol.

I've been lurkin around the tank threads for ideas. One that really stood out a lot to me was constantines tank. Should give it a look. I'm really liking the "open" rock work.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
1/2 masonry drill bit and some fiberglass or acrylic rods work great for stacking rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

cisco1717

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
drill holes on those rocks that will fit ur plugs prior to placing them in ur tank. and i found it easier to buy a few bigger pieces then a bunch of smaller ones. and chose ur shapes, like nyreefknoob says: i always see diffrent shape out there that i would like to have. most importantly sometime less is better so not to over crowd the tank.

RAYS REEF

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I dont have a good eye for it either.i really think that the placement of the rocks and coral is what gives the tank its beauty,but im never happy with it maybe one day ill get it....tired of the stack up on eachother look..thanks guyS

Last edited:

roc5288

ReefersDelight
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
The rods and mortar from marco rock help hold everything together. Although i have tried like hell to order from them, but they never have in stock. I got my nylon rod from usplastic.com. Great prices.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Best advice I can give is start with a general idea of what you want the tank to look like. Select pieces to help fit that design. Start with a few large and stable rocks on the bottom to act as the foundation for your structure, then build up on top of that. This will not only help minimize the rocks on the sand but will help in making some of the more challenging architecture you sometimes see. Masonary bits and rods work great as well as 2 part epoxies depending on what you're going for. I sometimes sketch out what I am going for (front/sides/and top down) until I end up with a design I'm happy with so I can avoid the process of redesigning what I don't like in the tank. If you do it right it should be stable with no chance of a landslide.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I prefer open areas for swimming through and ledge areas for coral placement.

It is challenging to replicate a natural look in a tank just because of the size of the rocks.

Real reef structures are huge unlike the size of the rocks we have to work with.

Last edited:
T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
good luck, just remember once u the coral start to grow out u wont really see the rocks....

itsaNYthing

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Just play with it till you find something you like, wait till it falls down or you get bored and do it again. Get enough rock where you can do something, start with base pieces and bigger rock, then pick and choose from what you see as time go's on, thats what ive been doing

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: