albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
420Reefer...ALWAYS HIGH!! said:
What else could I put on the bottom of the tank? I don't want the rocks to put a crack in the glass... I'm gonna have a DSB
If you're gonna have a DSB, how would the rocks hit and crack the bottom glass?
Think about that...while you're high!

:smoker:

Last edited:

420Reefer

Nature is Awesome
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If you're gonna have a DSB, how would the rocks hit and crack the bottom glass?
Think about that...while you're high!

That's pretty negative talk dude (Think about that...while you're high!) I guess your just a hater. Hopefully your not to old to understand what that means. So let's keep it positive for now on. I thought this was a spot a newbie can ask a question. Sorry if the question seemed dumb to you.

While on this MB I have been reading that a lot of people have been putting down the live rock first then go around it with sand.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
That's pretty negative talk dude (Think about that...while you're high!) I guess your just a hater.

Hopefully your not to old to understand what that means.

Sorry if the question seemed dumb to you.

While on this MB I have been reading that a lot of people have been putting down the live rock first then go around it with sand.

Imbarrie : If the rocks are already touching the glass then they can't hit the glass.
NOT a hater...(JUST KIDDING with you...:shhh: some of my best friends are high, right now)..but with a screen name of 420 Reefer / ALWAYS HIGH!!...what did you expect...you're new to the board, but the #1 thing, you want us to know, is that you're ALWAYS high? Sorry, but YOU left yourself open to that.

And for the record, I am too old to understand what that means!

Anyway...SORRY if the answer seemed dumb to you, but either way, rocks directly on bottom surrounded by DSB, OR rocks on top of DSB...how are they going to hit the bottom glass, and crack it?
I personally DO prefer rocks directly on bottom (as opposed to sitting on the sand), that way there is no 'dead' spots under the rock, AND (maybe more importantly), rocks are more stable, when fish/inverts, cannot dig under the base rock and topple the whole pile. (in my own tank, the base rock is raised above the sand, with acrylic 'legs')

BTW, I don't think Imbarrie was correcting your English...he was saying what I said...if the rocks are ON the glass (already), then they aren't going to HIT the glass.

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0

That is how rock & sand should be put into a tank, as mentioned mainly because of the critters that tend to burrow under the rocks.

Many use base rock for the very bottom layer of rock that will be under the sand and save their nicer pieces for where they will be seen. Doing it that way makes the eggcrate on the bottom..basicially unnecessary :)

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Unless a force gets applied to the rock structure which gets transferred to the glass that the rock is touching.

Just playing devils advocate ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
If your rock is placed gently then you lay in your sandbed, filling in the tank properly you will never under normal reefing activities ever put enough pressure in one spot to crack your glass. The horror stories about rock, glass and water on the floor are from improperly done tanks- all the sand in then rock. The only rocks that crack tanks are when your structure falls over and a rock smacks a side panel, front or back panel, not the bottom.

Also, you need to lighten up just a hair- albano is a complete gentleman and is one of the best on here to give info when needed.

Good luck on the tank.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: