DJYoshi

A Newbie to the Reef Game
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
It is chemistry and ecology and beauty wrapped in diversity.

I think that's 1 of the most profound things I've ever heard about an aquarium!

Nano are you testing other things too? Yes ph ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are important to test.... are you testing dkh and calcium? And that's love right there..someone sending you timers for your lights...

And I'd think that your next investment should be a skimmer if you don't have 1, and a rodi unit. How much $ will you save instead of running to your LFS, using gas, buying the water. Just turn on the rodi unit and walk away. Sure it's $85 to drop, $100 if you include a TDS (which you should)... but I think in the long run it'll save you time and $.
Plus it keeps you away from the temptation of buying anything new for your tank while you're at the LFS. At 2.5 months, how many fish do you have, and how big is the tank? Is it 2.5 months post initial cycle or did the cycle just finish?

DJYoshi

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
p.s. I did something stupid like add more LR after only a few weeks and it completely threw my tank off and I lost an ocellaris (my 1st fish that wasn't a damsel that I used for cycling).

Just chill out for now, use the timer on the lights, make sure the tank conditions remain at a constant and like everyone else said...listen to what your tank tells you. I know people don't like to pellet feed...but I use Hikari pellets for feeding once a week I might have some extra sh** laying around the house from all the stuff that people who found out I got into the hobby gave me.... I'll send some your way too.

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's 1 of the most profound things I've ever heard about an aquarium!

Nano are you testing other things too? Yes ph ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are important to test.... are you testing dkh and calcium? And that's love right there..someone sending you timers for your lights...

And I'd think that your next investment should be a skimmer if you don't have 1, and a rodi unit. How much $ will you save instead of running to your LFS, using gas, buying the water. Just turn on the rodi unit and walk away. Sure it's $85 to drop, $100 if you include a TDS (which you should)... but I think in the long run it'll save you time and $.
Plus it keeps you away from the temptation of buying anything new for your tank while you're at the LFS. At 2.5 months, how many fish do you have, and how big is the tank? Is it 2.5 months post initial cycle or did the cycle just finish?

hi =). well i will invest in an in tank skimmer. my tank is only 10 gallons which is why i buy plain r/o water and dont have a filteration system. i have a few corals, like softies, zoos, shrooms and i have a torch and candy cane. i dont test cal and dkh and alk and all that stuff because i dont have the test kits. also i dont test because i was told as long as i keep up with water changes the salt mix will keep up with the calc and alk and since i have so few corals in my tank they won't use up the calc and alk all the way.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
i am not getting a goldfish.. idc what u say... i READ THAT CHROMIS THING FROM GOOGLE.. LIKE HOW U GO TELL MY SEARCH IT UP. THEIR IS BUBBLE ALGEA ON THE SAND BED.. I WILL TAKE A PIC FOR U... ALL U DO IS ATTACK ME AND IM SICK OF IT.... IF U REALLY DONT CARE OF WHAT I DO OR DONT U WOULDNT POST ON THE THREADS I POST.... U OBVIOUSLY LIKE TO THREATEN ME AND HOW I DONT DO THINGS RITE.. IM JUST A BEGINNER... IM SORRY U HAD NO PROBLEMS WHEN YOU FIRST STARTED.. I DO TAKE IN WHAT U SAY..( ALSO THE NEGATIVE STUFF) I DO TAKE IT INTO CONSIDERATION, BUT I DONT HAVE ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD.. I NEED TO COMPROMISE.. A TIMER COULD BE WITHOUT IF I TURN IT ON AND OFF MYSELF.. LIKE I SAID I DONT HAVE A JOB..GET OFF MY CASE IF U REALLY DONT CARE...

First of all... show me ONE TIME that I "threatened" you. NEVER HAPPENED.

If you don't like my responses, then stop posting on a public forum. I had plenty of problems when I started, but I read and searched and minimized them by doing so.

I've told you to buy 2 things. A timer and a book. The timer could be had for the price of your chromis, and the book can be had for the price of the firefish and corals you bought.

Numerous people have told you to get the timer and you're saying that you can live without it. How is that taking advice? If a $10 timer is "all the money in the world", you have no business being in this hobby.

If you wanted to play with fire, I wouldn't care at all, but you're playing with live animals.

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all... show me ONE TIME that I "threatened" you. NEVER HAPPENED.

If you don't like my responses, then stop posting on a public forum. I had plenty of problems when I started, but I read and searched and minimized them by doing so.

I've told you to buy 2 things. A timer and a book. The timer could be had for the price of your chromis, and the book can be had for the price of the firefish and corals you bought.

Numerous people have told you to get the timer and you're saying that you can live without it. How is that taking advice? If a $10 timer is "all the money in the world", you have no business being in this hobby.

If you wanted to play with fire, I wouldn't care at all, but you're playing with live animals.

i will get a timer, and skimmer. and i will slow down. i was just mad because the algae is gettin on my nerves and when i got a response from you it didnt tell me how to specifically get rid of it. i will set my timer to only 6 hrs and i will do a water change.

DJYoshi

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
hi =). well i will invest in an in tank skimmer. my tank is only 10 gallons which is why i buy plain r/o water and dont have a filteration system. i have a few corals, like softies, zoos, shrooms and i have a torch and candy cane. i dont test cal and dkh and alk and all that stuff because i dont have the test kits. also i dont test because i was told as long as i keep up with water changes the salt mix will keep up with the calc and alk and since i have so few corals in my tank they won't use up the calc and alk all the way.

I'm getting rid of 1 of my bowfront tanks if you'd be interested in making somewhat of a fair offer if you're interested in going bigger.
On a 10 gallon, I'd at least put a small nano skimmer in there.
I have one for sale for $25 if you want it. I had planned to setup a quarantine tank, with it...but I'll be using my old skimmer in the quarantine tank since I just picked up a remora yesterday. you let me know.

I'm not sure about smaller tanks, but I know that water movement at the surface is 1 of the most important things to oxygenating the water...and how many fish are in there right now? Did you follow the adult size in inches per gallon rule?

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
FYI... If this is what you were talking about when you Googled what chromis eat, you should know that there is a HUGE difference between phytoplankton and zooplankton.

Blue Chromis eat zooplankton in the wild and will accept most types of marine fish food including frozen, freeze dried, vitamin enriched flakes and live foods. Give them a variety of foods for optimal coloration.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
i will get a timer, and skimmer. and i will slow down. i was just mad because the algae is gettin on my nerves and when i got a response from you it didnt tell me how to specifically get rid of it. i will set my timer to only 6 hrs and i will do a water change.

You've been given all of the specific information you need.

Buy a timer
Buy a skimmer
Buy a cleanup crew
Leave the tank alone
Don't add anything
Get a book (and read it)

You've been told all of this before. You will continue to lose livestock and have algae problems if you don't do what we have suggested.

We're not telling you these things to make you spend money. We're not telling you these things because we want to gather around and laugh at the thought of you reading. We're telling you these things because we have been in the hobby a long time and know what works and what doesn't.

I'm not telling you to get a goldfish to be a jerk, but if you can't afford $10, you're not likely going to have much success in this hobby and are going to waste time and money on a failure. You'll end up discouraged and leave the hobby broke and fishless. If you can't afford a reef, you should stick with freshwater until you can. A nice freshwater tank is a lot better than an algae ridden saltwater tank with bleached coral and sick fish.

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI... If this is what you were talking about when you Googled what chromis eat, you should know that there is a HUGE difference between phytoplankton and zooplankton.

Blue Chromis eat zooplankton in the wild and will accept most types of marine fish food including frozen, freeze dried, vitamin enriched flakes and live foods. Give them a variety of foods for optimal coloration.
lol ya thats what i read... i just put in some soaked mysis shrimp but the fish didnt eat any. probabl still stressed due to disturbances.

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Buy a timer
Buy a skimmer
Buy a cleanup crew
Leave the tank alone
Don't add anything
Get a book (and read it)

You've been told all of this before. You will continue to lose livestock and have algae problems if you don't do what we have suggested.

We're not telling you these things to make you spend money. We're not telling you these things because we want to gather around and laugh at the thought of you reading. We're telling you these things because we have been in the hobby a long time and know what works and what doesn't.

I'm not telling you to get a goldfish to be a jerk, but if you can't afford $10, you're not likely going to have much success in this hobby and are going to waste time and money on a failure. You'll end up discouraged and leave the hobby broke and fishless. If you can't afford a reef, you should stick with freshwater until you can. A nice freshwater tank is a lot better than an algae ridden saltwater tank with bleached coral and sick fish.

ok i WILL buy a timer. i WILL BUY a clean up crew. I WILL LEAVE THE TANK ALONE ( but still do water changes and top offs rite?) and i will buy a book if i really have to this saturday. can u reccomend the one u used? and also a good skimmer. what r the best types of snails/inverts for a clean up crew?? i did have a turbo snail but i think it died because i was upside down.

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Buy a timer
Buy a skimmer
Buy a cleanup crew
Leave the tank alone
Don't add anything
Get a book (and read it)

o and when u mean dont add anything u mean dont add anymore livestock rite? because i still need to do top offs. and i still need to add a clean up crew.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1890087025/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

$6.23 Shipped to your door. You don't need a new book, Amazon has great deals on used books.

Yes, continue to top off and do water changes, and SLOWLY add a cleanup crew. Email John Maloney (one of MR's vendors) about your cleanup crew, and I'm sure he can be of more assistance than me.

Post about the skimmer in the WTB section. A lot of people sell their first skimmers dirt cheap or sometimes give them away.

Seriously man... I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just hate seeing people ignore solid advice, then fail and walk away with nothing.

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1890087025/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

$6.23 Shipped to your door. You don't need a new book, Amazon has great deals on used books.

Yes, continue to top off and do water changes, and SLOWLY add a cleanup crew. Email John Maloney (one of MR's vendors) about your cleanup crew, and I'm sure he can be of more assistance than me.

Post about the skimmer in the WTB section. A lot of people sell their first skimmers dirt cheap or sometimes give them away.

Seriously man... I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just hate seeing people ignore solid advice, then fail and walk away with nothing.

ok, i will make sure i get everything i need and i will lowly add a good clean up crew. i will do what u guys say EXACTLY from now on.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
dont need a skimmer. especially on a tank that size,and no more then 2 or 3 small fish at most. you would be better off with a hob filter and run carbon and phosban in it. i quit posting on your threads cause you wouldn't listen and here a month later seems you still aren't. the algea is more then likely from the additional rock was added. you dont have to be rich to be in the hobby but lack of funds will be lack of equiptment and a healthy tank, get the equiptment stuff first. you do need more then 1 snail, a variety of cleanup crew snails and hermits. christmas is around the corner put some of the stuff on ur wish list

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont need a skimmer. especially on a tank that size,and no more then 2 or 3 small fish at most. you would be better off with a hob filter and run carbon and phosban in it. i quit posting on your threads cause you wouldn't listen and here a month later seems you still aren't. the algea is more then likely from the additional rock was added. you dont have to be rich to be in the hobby but lack of funds will be lack of equiptment and a healthy tank, get the equiptment stuff first. you do need more then 1 snail, a variety of cleanup crew snails and hermits. christmas is around the corner put some of the stuff on ur wish list

i have a hob filter.. that means (hang on back rite?) i have pics now

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kinda hard to see algea. it looks way greener/browner in person.. it seems to have decreased since yesterday probably because my snail hovering over the sand bed. heres how the algea look and i included my chromis whcih are not doing very well and a full tank shot so u guys can get an diea how how my tank is running anf everything. i think i will also do a water test today.

there is some hair algae on some rocks and my rock that my blue and orange zoas are on. they are just starting to spread. should i just remove it physically when i do water change or let cleanup crew take care of it?

167_2350.jpg

167_2351.jpg

167_2353.jpg

167_2358.jpg

167_2357.jpg

167_2347.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: