InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Ok not for nothin- but here we go- if you want to talk like your a resident know it all and scold this kid- you should be up on YOUR facts and info as well.

1- cutting lights back doesnt solve the problem-it MASKS it- so after the algaes gone because your light cycle is half of what it should be what happens when you bring them back up to what your suppoosed ot have? POOF! algae all over again. OR is he supposed to have a reef tank that he has 4 hours of lighting a day on for the life of the tank? I would think not. I would think he should do what he needs to do to REMOVE the phosphates from his sytem, not let it play hide and go seek with the lights.

2- phosphate test kits are not accurate and reliable enough to be the main source of PO4 testing- the only real way to get the true phosphate reading in a tank is with a hanna or other photometer which he cant afford. A test kit will register heavier amounts of PO4 but not small amounts accurately.

How about you leave the kid alone already. If he takes peoples advice great if not great, its up to him.

This thread has turned into the reason that a lot of other new people on the site wont post- because you get the experts yelling at you- which is fine at least they have the info in detail.

But then they have people that are also relatively new yelling at them, thats all most people need to go away instead of learn.

+1

I'm with you Jimmy, Our responsibility is to help not hurt.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Thanks nanchil and Inferno. I just dont see the reasoning behind berating someone is all.

Listen I'm all for helping people...but only those that are willing to help themselves too.

Lets be realistic...and others have said the same thing...he has been given advice (whether good or bad) and has neglected to follow any of it!

If your gonna do your own thing anyway then whats the point of trying to help.

And I was not saying to cut his lights back completely..but if he has them on for 12 hours a day and is controlling them manually...that may be a bit excessive. Running them for 8 hours a day and investing the $25 for a Timer/surge strip probably couldn't hurt. This guy has burnt more time and money on stuff that numerous people have told him to lay off of.

I went through my period of hair algae too...and the cutting the lights back from 9 hours a day to 7 1/2 hours resolved it in about a week and a half...

So there is my two cents...now I know that it falls on deaf ears so do what you want with it anyway.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I would think he should do what he needs to do to REMOVE the phosphates from his sytem said:
Oh and on this topic...he was feeding the 3 fish he has in there whole raw shrimp...and according to him has left the pieces in there on a rock. Now I know he was told not too over feed...but somehow putting jumbo shrimp in there seemed like a good idea.

So if get a chance you might want to relay to your buddy that this may not be the best idea....he doesn't seem to like me much.

Thanks

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I would think he should do what he needs to do to REMOVE the phosphates from his sytem said:
Oh and on this topic...he was feeding the 3 fish he has in there whole raw shrimp...and according to him has left the pieces in there on a rock. Now I know he was told not too over feed...but somehow putting jumbo shrimp in there seemed like a good idea.

So if get a chance you might want to relay to your buddy that this may not be the best idea....he doesn't seem to like me much.

Thanks

I wonder why. Must be that charming personality. He needs :help: not :smash:.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I wonder why. Must be that charming personality. He needs :help: not :smash:.

And he was given help...by just about everyone.

He needs to listen to it....bottom line. People to tell him to leave things alone and dont do a thing...he is moving rock around. People tell him to not add anything else till the tank settles down....he is adding fish and coral the next day. Then wonders why they wont eat and die.

Sorry to say, but if he doesnt listen then he might as well get out of the hobby.

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
And he was given help...by just about everyone.

He needs to listen to it....bottom line. People to tell him to leave things alone and dont do a thing...he is moving rock around. People tell him to not add anything else till the tank settles down....he is adding fish and coral the next day. Then wonders why they wont eat and die.

Sorry to say, but if he doesnt listen then he might as well get out of the hobby.

If this is the case why are you waisting your time in this thread, move on to other topics? Beating people over the head is not going to help anyone, it's only going to frustrate the people who still want to help Nano. I believe the kid is just excited and wants to see things in his tank (we've all been there) and is a little impatient, I really don't think he is doing it on purpose.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The way I see it the ones wasting time in this thread are the ones that keep offering their help and advice just to have it disregarded.

So good luck to everyone that is gonna entertain his impatience and ignorance and keep wasting their breath.

But I think this has gone on long enough and I've got better things to do.

Nano..good luck in the hobby.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
The way I see it the ones wasting time in this thread are the ones that keep offering their help and advice just to have it disregarded.

So good luck to everyone that is gonna entertain his impatience and ignorance and keep wasting their breath.

But I think this has gone on long enough and I've got better things to do.

Nano..good luck in the hobby.

He said he turned em on at 3:30 in the afternoon, so unless he is up at 3:30 in the morning he didnt have the lights on for 12 hours.

Hes not the one being impatient here, and acting as you have towards him is showing ignorance more than him not listening to some ever will.

Again if hes a slow learner then so be it, but as more and more people are seeing in the thread that people are getting to be too harsh to him- you being the main one. He just for clarification isnt my buddy, BUT hes a new person on here----as are you. Im not a long time member on here or the hobby but Ive been here long enough to have helped some people out with tips and free equipment that I was no longer needing that they did need. What have you done in your 2 whole months here? Berate some kid because you saw some other members on here do it.

Like I said earlier- at least beerfish(Eric), NY ReefNoob(Rick), motortrendz(Mike) and others have had information to give. Your last number of posts have been strictly on the level of being abusive, no need for that.

Ive seen a lot worse starts that turned into a descently liked guy, heres an example of just one:

Look up the statistics of INNEED and look at his threads and the silly stuff that happened in the beginning with him- from not showing up for a sale he comitted himself to to wanting to put a blue spotted stingray in a 120G to going from tank to tank to tank and so on. After a while we all stopped scolding him and then he actually learned. By the time he showed up at a swap everyone was saying hello and shakin his hand, not "yelling" because he learned and finally followed direction of people. This kid could be the exact same case in the long run.

I have read all his threads and know what he was feeding and all of his mistakes, still doesnt give people the right to torture, I doubt that if he was your little brother youd have this little patience with him OR deal with others getting on him. I think youd tell them to relax and if they had no want to help anymore to just leave him be and let him learn throguh the school of har knocks.

It seems that as soon as a few people arent on your bandwagon of that this kids a waste of time and kind of call you out on it, all of a sudden you say you have better things to do and wish him luck in the hobby? Kind of seems passive agressive there. If you felt this way you should have taken that route instead of jumoing all over him in the first place. Why not stick in and when he asks a question give him an answer? Even if he asks me how to mix saltwater 35 times Ill answer it 35 times. Because after the 35th time hell be an expert lol.

I understand you get frustrated, BUT if he gets 1 thing right that was wrong at first, then no one wasted their time.

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
He said he turned em on at 3:30 in the afternoon, so unless he is up at 3:30 in the morning he didnt have the lights on for 12 hours.
Why not stick in and when he asks a question give him an answer? Even if he asks me how to mix saltwater 35 times Ill answer it 35 times. Because after the 35th time hell be an expert lol.

I understand you get frustrated, BUT if he gets 1 thing right that was wrong at first, then no one wasted their time.

+1,
This member is a kid, kids (and adults sometimes) need to learn from experience, you can tell them, but they still think they know better. Eventually, they see that the things being told to them are accurate and will start listening... seeing this materialize on a forum in the beginning can be painful, but if you care about the animals being put through this, you will not berate the kid... if he leaves he is still going to do what he wants and kill things, just without direction. Mind as well help him or at least let the ones who want to do so without trying to drive him away from the site (which is all bullying him accomplishes if anything)

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
nano, ive given you a bunch of advice on your tank when you first started,... remember.. leave it alone.. lol anyway im not gonna give you hell, youve gotten enough already, but i noticed in one of your pics you have a glass/acrylic top.. the tank needs to breathe, the tank get its oxygen by surface aggitation, so you need your power head making ripples on top of the water and the water should be exposed to fresh air, which will make your PH more stable.. i use white eggcrate(sold at home depot in the light department in 2ft x 4ft sheets and i cut it to fit, it makes a good top so no fish will jump but let the water get fresh air, also it will help with heat dissipation..

other than that, beerfish is a good guy(kinda) but has alot of good info, he can be harsh but its bc he is passionate(or his wife wears the pants and he needs some outlet to feel important... hah lol) but him and i were giving you alot of advice in thebeginning and you were getting confused.. remember this when you leave the tank alone that doesnt mean dont do water top offs or stop feeding.. it just means dont add anything that will affect the system like adding more livestock(fish, not a clean up crew, you do need them and i would get them asap) and adding or moving rock.. by doing this you may cause a mini cycle or in a small tank a full cycle and wipe out your fish..

go get a test kit for nitrates its important.. you test the other stuff nitrates are important too, and yes with all the water changes you are gonna keep the cal and alk in good levels.. but depending on the salt your mag will be low(reef chrystals are only abt 750 on mag when it should be abt 1300)..

good luck and i hope this is a realization that we are here to help, we have all started from somewhere and made alot of mistakes, i wish this site and google was here for me when i started.. but let me tell you ive learned more here from just reading than anything else..

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
Ok so let me ask a noon question ,, but everyone is telling him not to add anything ,, but wouldn't adding a clean up crew help his situation also ATM ,, if he is overgrazing and havin algae issues ,, wouldn't a cuc help him ,, will a cuc cause a mini cycle ,, 1 snail is not enough for that tank ,, lol I'll donate some snails and blue legged hermits to him ,, ,, .

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Ok so let me ask a noon question ,, but everyone is telling him not to add anything ,, but wouldn't adding a clean up crew help his situation also ATM ,, if he is overgrazing and havin algae issues ,, wouldn't a cuc help him ,, will a cuc cause a mini cycle ,, 1 snail is not enough for that tank ,, lol I'll donate some snails and blue legged hermits to him ,, ,, .

Yeah a CUC wouldnt hurt his situation in my opinion, hell get it good to go in time

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
other than that, beerfish is a good guy(kinda) but has alot of good info, he can be harsh but its bc he is passionate(or his wife wears the pants and he needs some outlet to feel important... hah lol)

Might be a little bit of both! :lol:

(FYI... if you think I'm bad when it comes to reefs... try talking to me about beer!)

But seriously... I'm still trying to help, but I want to see him do some reading. When I got started, I read some books touting the virtues of the Skilter skimmer (the old timers remember this one). I learned quickly that the thing was obsolete, but it instilled the importance of a skimmer. What I learned from the books I read, was what to ask. I knew that somethings were important and some weren't, but I had a foundation.

This is the reason I keep harping on the book. It doesn't have all of the information you need, but it gives you a foundation and teaches you the basics of reef keeping. When you build on the foundation, you learn a lot more, but without it, you don't know what you need to learn.

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0

if you read my post right above yours i said dont add any livestock ...except for a CUC.. he needs that.. ant that was nice of you to offer to help by donating some to him..

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
I remember when I started out ,, i learned the hard and expensive way ,,, just tryin to help out members in need

NanoPerson67

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well guys.. i just got mysis shrimp yesterday and fed them to my damsels. they did eat.. they were swimming alot after that.. i just did a water change and they seem a lil stressed but they still come out every often.. after the water change i noticed my leather opening up more. algea is gone.. it went away after two days. i think because my snail. also i got a mag float so the tank looks sooo much cleaner

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
well guys.. i just got mysis shrimp yesterday and fed them to my damsels. they did eat.. they were swimming alot after that.. i just did a water change and they seem a lil stressed but they still come out every often.. after the water change i noticed my leather opening up more. algea is gone.. it went away after two days. i think because my snail. also i got a mag float so the tank looks sooo much cleaner

Glad to hear Nano.

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Cool. Just keep in mind that the tank is going to go thru many changes till it settles down so keep a positive outlook and heed all of the info the members gave you in this and other threads. There isn't anything anyone here hasn't seen at one time or another, so feel free to ask anything at anytime. I've had my 120 going on 2 years now and just got over fighting Cyano for 1 entire year (I had to walk away for a while it got me so PO'd):irked:, I tried everything to get rid of it (with the advice of the members) kept at it and finally came to a point of changing salt mixes which was causing my problem, now it's gone, thank god. There are very few exceptions but for the most part everyone here is glad to help and are good people. Good luck Nemo, and enjoy your tank.:wink1:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: