Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
82 isn't bad
A fan can help have it blow across the surface of the aquarium.
Do you have coral in the aquarium?
What fish do you have?
Whats the lowest temperature compared to the highest?

stunner620

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a new setup 120 gal i got a 400w marineland heater set to 78.... before i turned it on for 3 weeks the temp was always 79.....
the heater is retarted but i shut it off but my temp is still 82

i have 2 wrasse to help with cycling

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
its a new setup 120 gal i got a 400w marineland heater set to 78.... before i turned it on for 3 weeks the temp was always 79.....
the heater is retarted but i shut it off but my temp is still 82
My tank is 78-9 these days with a heater running, and it gets up to but not higher than 83-4 in the summer. I don't keep anything beyond softies, and it's fine so far (tank has been up 6-7 months).

If you're running 82 during the winter, you might need to consider getting a chiller for the summer months.

i have 2 wrasse to help with cycling
Off topic from your question, what do you mean by this?

Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
so if your lowest temp. is 79 and your highest 82 that's fine.
If you're concerned that it may be getting to high try the fan idea. If you don't have a temperature controller you could have it go on automatically whenever your lights go on(assuming that when it gets hottest). Keep in mind there is going to be a lot more evaporation.

Also keep the heater set up.

fallenlordz

Cant hear you under Water
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Mine got down to 76, had to add a extra heater to get it back up to 79.

Now 2 heaters are connected to my RKL :)

I keep my house temp around 66-68 Guess its to cold for 1 heater to handle.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
It depends on pumps ,power heads, lighting ,location and such.Mine is at 76-77
today .If you'r just planning on keeping fishes you might not need a Chiller at all.Wait and see what's your highest temterature in the hot months and then decide because how are you going to determine what size Chiller is right for you ?

stunner620

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my lfs told me to do so, 3 weeks it was cycling without fish...
i have a freshwater 140 gallon before in the same spot and my temp was 88 so ill deff will need a chiller, my house temp is 72 right now because of my baby bro...

Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The bane of this hobby

It is not the bane of the hobby. A good store can give you honest true advice. Funny thing about this hobby you can have two different tank running with complete opposite theories in filtration and husbandry and they both can strive.

kroman

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
It is not the bane of the hobby. A good store can give you honest true advice. Funny thing about this hobby you can have two different tank running with complete opposite theories in filtration and husbandry and they both can strive.

that's a very blanket statment not sure what it has to do with me saying, most of the advise given to new reefers from the "local" LFS is crap. I have seen it in person way too many times I've even been asked to leave a few stores for giving new reefer real advice that did not cause them to walk out of the lfs with $1000 worth of junk. Yes there are a few great stores but more so great people working for those stores, but for the most part not so much. you seem to be in the bizz so I understand your position.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
my lfs told me to do so, 3 weeks it was cycling without fish...
i have a freshwater 140 gallon before in the same spot and my temp was 88 so ill deff will need a chiller, my house temp is 72 right now because of my baby bro...
Not to hijack the thread at all, but feel free to google and post questions in the forum, in addition to asking LFS employees. More often than not, you'll get quality advice from members here who have extensive experience in the hobby :)

Back to the point, if you keep your ambient temp at 72 24/7 in the summer as well, you might not need a chiller... play it by ear, I guess.

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
my tank is at 78.1-78.7 during the day and 76.5-77.2 at night.. my heater is set to come on at 76 and the ciller is set to come on at 78.. before the chiller it was running 84-86 during the day.. and believe it or not on my tank is warmer in the winter.. lol bc its in the loft and the heat rises and it gets too warm up there.. go figure..
i have a 40g breeder display with a 6 bilb t5 and a 55g sump with 6700k Pc..
my old system was a 22g with 2 40b as my filtration tanks and my temp was always 78 never needed a chiller..

Sean

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
that's a very blanket statment not sure what it has to do with me saying, most of the advise given to new reefers from the "local" LFS is crap. I have seen it in person way too many times I've even been asked to leave a few stores for giving new reefer real advice that did not cause them to walk out of the lfs with $1000 worth of junk. Yes there are a few great stores but more so great people working for those stores, but for the most part not so much. you seem to be in the bizz so I understand your position.

Don't want to hijack this anymore than I have.

sorry

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: