RAYS REEF

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
hello everyone..i was wondering if you can mix gfo and carbon in one reactor.dont really want to purchase another reactor to run carbon i was told u can, just wanna get more opinions from some more people,,,,,,,thankzzzzz

RAYS REEF

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
ok , because i know that the rule is that u have to see the gfo dancing around in the reactor.what do u think i should put the gfo fisrt than the carbon or should i put carbon first than gfo to be sure that the gfo is still dancing in there.........................anymore opinuions ppl

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
I personally wouldn't. I have found that my gfo has a much lower rate running thru it than my carbon. In addition, when one gets exhausted what are you going to do ? Dump bolth out ? not a practical method. I advise using two reactors.

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
+1, 2 Reactors.
You want the GFO to tumble but don't want the carbon too otherwise it will breakdown into very small particles and get into your tank.

OzoneParkGuy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
For $60 @ Gotham Aquatics, you can buy a dual reactor. One for GFO and one for Carbon. The GFO needs to tumble to work effectively. As far as carbon,the surface area is where the process's begins and thus the reason the media is in a chamber to have water flow throughout.

Yes you can plumb to reactors together... just adjust the ball valve that come with the reactor. If done this way i suggest running the carbon 1st
(carbon is heavier) adjust the ball valve then plumb the second reactor to get the
gfo tumbling.

Like Thane stated... what will you do with both media mixed into one
reactor when one or the other is exhausted.. dump them, so not economically money saving that way.

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
You got some good answers here. I will just add my 2cents...

1. I have a bunch of reactors including the brs dual reactor which uses one pump for two reactors and I could never get the flow to work right. If the gfo had enough flow the carbon didn't and and if the carbon had enough flow the gfo was flying all over the place.

2. If you want to try and run both gfo and gac in the same reactor you might try cutting open a bag of chemipure elite and dump it In your reactor. I have done this and still do occasionally. I never felt that this worked as well as two separate reactors but it does work.

RAYS REEF

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
You know what i thought about that closetfishgeek thanks.chemipure does last longer than gfo so that wudnt really work,carbon does break down if too much flow runs thru it,thanks infernost,if i get another reactor will a maxijet 1200 work for both reactors?i will checkout gotham aquatics for that dual reactor,thanks ozoneparkguy but if it doesnt really work well than i think its not worth it,,,,jrobbins you say it can be done? How often should gfo be repplaced guys? Thank you everyone ,,,,have a happy thanksgiving......

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
You know what i thought about that closetfishgeek thanks.chemipure does last longer than gfo so that wudnt really work,carbon does break down if too much flow runs thru it,thanks infernost,if i get another reactor will a maxijet 1200 work for both reactors?i will checkout gotham aquatics for that dual reactor,thanks ozoneparkguy but if it doesnt really work well than i think its not worth it,,,,jrobbins you say it can be done? How often should gfo be repplaced guys? Thank you everyone ,,,,have a happy thanksgiving......

Your welcome..... ALL GFO comes with a general guidelines. However, you will use it up faster or slower depending on your phosphate levels in your tank. Furthermore, the more phosphates you introduce to your system( food, water...) the faster you will use up your gfo. It will take a little testing on your behalf but in no time you will determine your systems needs.

RAYS REEF

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Thanks i will look into that, i need a phosphate reader i dont have one yet but since iv added my reactor iv have seen some good results for far so i know its working,brown algea gone, more polyp extension on my sps.noticed my frags grabbing on it the rocks

RAYS REEF

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I have been searching the net and found a single reactor that says gfo and gac can be run together using a mj900 in a single reactor.you see i was thinking about cutting a chemipure OPEN mixing it with the gfo and run it as i was just running gfo.it is recommended that atlease 5 inches of gfo should be placed in the reactor to run properly,i was thinking half gfo half carbon....i dont know so many opinuions,,,,,wat to do,,,i was trying to save some money but if its not an good idea i would purchase another tlf reactor and just run carb,one mj1200 for both reactors..any more help guys

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
I have been searching the net and found a single reactor that says gfo and gac can be run together using a mj900 in a single reactor.you see i was thinking about cutting a chemipure OPEN mixing it with the gfo and run it as i was just running gfo.it is recommended that atlease 5 inches of gfo should be placed in the reactor to run properly,i was thinking half gfo half carbon....i dont know so many opinuions,,,,,wat to do,,,i was trying to save some money but if its not an good idea i would purchase another tlf reactor and just run carb,one mj1200 for both reactors..any more help guys

Do this and call it a day.

reefjunkie09

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have used the Pura Complete by Magnavore with good results. I don't know if it's exactly what your looking for but it's a blend of media for use in one reactor. Just throwing it out there. Good luck man

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

waynotcars

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
On the BRS (Bulk Reef Supply) web site They have a TV section with videos. They specifically have one on running both carbon and GFO in a single reactor. It's a good video to watch. As you'll see, they say run GFO at bottom, seperate with a sponge and put carbon at top. They say a very SLOW flow thru the carbon is best. They also sell a dual reactor that is run with one pump for larger tanks if you want to run gfo in one chamber and carbon in the second chamber. I have the dual reactor and agree with jrobbins. I can NEVER get it to flow properly. I set it up and the GFO tumbles at top like it should and 2 hours later the flow has slowed to a trickle and the GFO isn't tumbling and the carbon is all pushed up to the top of reactor chamber #2 and flow into sump has slowed to a trickle.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: