still have algae problem i need serious help! - Page 2 - Reefs.com

Home  / Forums  / Global Forums  / Reefs for Beginners  /  still have algae problem i need serious help!
FutureFlow
02-01-2006, 01:18 AM
tap

02-01-2006, 01:21 AM
well, there's problem #1, tap just doens't cut it. You really need to be using ro/di to make a reef tank work - especiallly when it's new - see if a local reefer can spare a few gallons (I would but I am in westchester) and see what those water changes does for it.

House

FutureFlow
02-01-2006, 01:23 AM
[IMG][/IMG]
i did a little ajustment in water flow and i think its clearing my water up a bit,i have a valve that controls the speed of the return pump but the problem i had is that the pump will suck the water up to fast causing it to make loud slerping noises (very annoying)so i added more water and cranked the pump and adjust the positions of my maxijets and i saw improvement

Live Sale Pioneer
02-01-2006, 01:28 AM
With tap water, its inevitable that you get some kind of algae in the tank. When I was using tap water about 8-9 months back I had the same problem.

FutureFlow
02-01-2006, 01:29 AM
doesnt carbon make your water clearer why should i take it out of my sump

www.saltwatercritters.com
02-01-2006, 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyBoy
doesnt carbon make your water clearer why should i take it out of my sump
How long have you had the carbon in your sump? Carbon absorbs impurities. When it is exhausted it will begin to adsorb those impurities back into your water. That's why it's so important to be diligent about replacing carbon no longer than every four weeks.

I also agree wholeheartedly that your tap water is the beginning of your problems.

master

FutureFlow
02-01-2006, 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterswimmer
How long have you had the carbon in your sump? Carbon absorbs impurities. When it is exhausted it will begin to adsorb those impurities back into your water. That's why it's so important to be diligent about replacing carbon no longer than every four weeks.

I also agree wholeheartedly that your tap water is the beginning of your problems.

master
i just put the carbon like 2 days ago

SPS KILLER
02-01-2006, 02:30 AM
Tap water = green tank

Jackson's 115G SPS Cube

REEF ON!
02-01-2006, 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson6745
Tap water = green tank
absolutely agree... tap water is bad... been there done that..

invest in the aquasafe rodi unit on ebay. it will be the best thing u could ever do for your tank...

200DD Upgrade

RIP Frank (FRY). You will be missed.

OG of this here reef game
tap water is not satan
02-01-2006, 09:28 AM
Well I guess it depends where you live. In NYC Tap water is not satan. For a FOWLR or a softy tank I think tap water is fine. I use 100% tap water in my tank and I have no issues. I wouldn't try tap in an SPS tank or even a heavily LPS tank but softies like dirty water.

As long as you practice good husbandry and common sence you should be ok. I run carbon once a week pull it after a day or two. I use a Phosphate sponge which is also changed weekly. I aerate new water for 24 hours with a Mag 7 and phosphate sponge combination. I have ZERO nuisance algae, ZERO Nitrates and no macroalgae anywhere.

Your milage may very but that's my experience.