Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Was wondering if copepods eat zoanthids...I've heard rumors. Check out this fella running circles around one of the polyps. :headache:
These copepods are like 1cm big at times and every once in a while I see their molten shell floating around....ARGHHH
If they do eat zoanthids...what can I do about it? :headache: :headache: :headache:

Attachments

• IMG_1002.JPG
    IMG_1002.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 399

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
That's the thing noodle...my tank is a 6.6g and I have a purple firefish in there. I dont think I can support another fish.

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Look at some of the polyps on the right...it looks like the skirt as been eaten away. Look at the polyp the pod's clinging to...looks like the skirt's fone from that one too.

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I don't know about the dip...the rock the zoa's are on is pretty big fritz...about 5-6" across and high. Plus, my rocks are so porous, these buggers hid everywhere. I hate these copepods even though everyone thinks they're so beneficial. I think I might just get a six-line. But two fish in a 6.6g tank?...sigh. Thats a total of 4 inches of fish in there (for now...more iwhen they get bigger)....thats about 1.25 inch a gallon, which is a no-no. But...I promise I'll change my water twice a week if need be...I don't know...arghhh

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
your options are limited.

you could try to trade your fire fish to someone for a six line or see if an LFS will credit you for one. I just dipped two small rocks before my first post above and they're already open. It was sick how many of the "pods" floated to the top. Once I placed them back in I used a turkey baster to blast water at them and even more flew off! My six line was waiting nearby to snatch them up.

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
I would agree normally but these are 1 cm "pods". 1 centimeter!!!!!! I'm not attesting that these are preditory and eat zoos but they irritate the hell out of them and certainly nibble the fringe of the zoo polyp. I've got four rocks that I thought I was going to loose. After a freshwater dip they all look good as new. Perhaps these pods are eating something else that bothers the zoos...

Either way if I were you I would dip it.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
fritz said:
I would agree normally but these are 1 cm "pods". 1 centimeter!!!!!! I'm not attesting that these are preditory and eat zoos but they irritate the hell out of them and certainly nibble the fringe of the zoo polyp. I've got four rocks that I thought I was going to loose. After a freshwater dip they all look good as new. Perhaps these pods are eating something else that bothers the zoos...

Either way if I were you I would dip it.

The only thing I can see wrong with this is that the copepods wouldn't all dissappear from the tank after dipping the colonies. On the other hand if it was something that was irratating the zoa's they would be more likely to all be on the colonies rather than venturing to somewhere else in the tank. With the dip you probably got the majority of them and the zoa's began to look better. I've got the 1cm pods in my tank and I do see them from time to time, mind you its under my starboard eating whatevers underthere.

I'm going to stick to saying that something was wrong with that specific zoa and the pod was simply eating off any dead tissue.

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
nanoreefer22 said:
Froggie, a dip would be a good idea. But on the other hand a lot of those zoas look stressed and look like they're already dying. Pods just doing his job cleaning up the mess ;)
Thanks Kris and yessong...I was thinking the same too but I'm a constant worry-er and expects the worse. That part of the colony is right next to my frogspawn, so I don't expect it to be in the best of shape. Again, I don't want to take the colony out of the tank to do a dip because it has attached itself to the rocks nearby and my featherduster has anchored itself to the rock of the colony and the rocks nearby. The rest of the colony is doing great. Here's some pics I just took right now of that section and other pics of the entire colony. I'll keep a close eye on it just to make sure it isn't fungus or any other pest. Thanks all.

Attachments

• IMG_1012.JPG
    IMG_1012.JPG
    191 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1016.JPG
    IMG_1016.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1018.JPG
    IMG_1018.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 121

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: