cjosephson66

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I just installed my first Reef Tank ever. It's a Red Sea Max 130D. Santa gave it to my 3 year old son for Christmas. I just filled it today and everything is running ok, except for the salt. I have a little bit of it left on the bottom of the tank and I want to make sure I am not doing anything wrong. They say it takes 30 minutes to dissolve, but it's been over 3 hours and I don't want to add the substrate until the salt water is totally dissolved. I have even moved it around a couple of times but it doesn't want to budge. The hydrometer is at the correct settings for temp and salinity but I just don't get why it's taking so long for the salt to dissolve. Does anyone have an idea of what I should do? I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
How much flow do you have in the tank.
The salt won't dissolve without movement.

Can you please list the equipment you have for the tank?

Did you already put the live rock in the tank (if you have any yet)?

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
the salt water isnt to be mixed inside of the tank, most of us use buckets or container's, hopefully rock wasn't added yet. few other questions for you, how do you plan to measure salinity ? tempature of the tank and so on.

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Sweet, this was my first tank too !
Turn the heater on to 80? and a little pump at the bottom of the tank. Let it sit like that for 24hrs then the salt will be fully dissolved.
By the way, welcome to MR and this wonderful hobby.

cjosephson66

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. This tank is totally empty, brand new from the manufacturer. I installed everything the way they said to and they told me the only time you can put salt directly into the tank is when there are no livestock in it. I had the water settle for 24 hours and then added the salt. I received a starter kit from the manufacturer so I followed the directions that came with the tank and kit.

I cranked the heater up to 80 like pauliwalnuts said and then the salt finely dissolved. I really want to thank all of you for your help since this is the first saltwater tank I have ever owned and I want to make sure it is set up correctly. I really love ocean wildlife and I couldn't stand to hurt any livestock. Listed below are the specs for my tank.

Dimensions (LxWxH) 4 x 20 x 23.8”
Total water volume 34 gallons
Aquarium volume 29 gallons
Filter volume 5 gallons
Glass thickness 0.3"
Cabinet (LxWxH) 24 x 20 x 32”
Lighting 2 x 55W T5 Power Compact
Lighting- 10,000k55W
Lighting- Actinic 55W
Lighting- Blue LED 4
Lighting timer Analogue
Hood opening 3 positions
Circulation Pumps 2 x 146 gph
Skimmer water throughput 100 gph
Skimmer max Air flow 32 gallon
Skimmer foam adjuster
Heater Wattage 150W
Mechanical filter
Biological Filtration active surface area(1,200 sq ft/gal)
Activated Carbon 7 oz
Power centre 5 outlets
Water Cooling Fans external power supply

Last edited:

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Dear Bigdog1428,

I am using the reef base substrate that came with the kit. On top of that I wanted to get live sand so that the starfish I get will not get hurt.
When you add the substrat make sure you turn off all your pumps, so you do not start getting sand pulled into the filter areas and into the pump. Sand will destroy pumps. Make sure you allow all the sand to settle before tunring the pumps back on. And yes you can mix your first batch of salt in the tank when there is no livestock or liverock. But next time I would put the substrate in first.

cjosephson66

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear jaa1456,

I just did that this morning around 7:30am. I just turned all the pumps on about 20 minutes ago and it seems to be fine. I don't know why the company wanted me to put the water in first. I thought it didn't make sense but I followed their directions just in case (since I am new to this). I am going to add a layer of live sand on top of the reef base because it seems a little too rough for bottom crawlers.

Thanks for your help.

cjosephson66

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sand all over

I have that same tank so if you need anything,let me know.

I hate to sound like a pest but I shut off all the pumps and skimmer and added the substrate with no problem. Then I got live sand, rinsed it and put it in last night with the pumps and skimmer shut off. It's been over 12 hours and the sand is still clouding up the tank. I don't want to turn any of the pumps or skimmer on for fear that the sand will destroy them. Did you have the same issue when you first set up your tank? And, is your skimmer air valve very noisy? I have everything where it is supposed to be but this tank is very loud. The only thing in the tank now is water, substrate and live sand.

I'd appreciate any help I can get. I called my local store but they want to charge me a ton of $$$ just to come out and look at it.

cjosephson66

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

When you first add the sand in tends to do that. But go ahead and turn on the equipment, it shouldn't damage it in anyway. And yeah, those RedSea skimmers do make allot of noise.

Thank you so much. I thought I was going to ruin the pumps. The sand is so fine. I will never get that brand again. I guess their advertisement for a quiet running tank wasn't true. I should have thought about that before I put it in my son's room. LOL. He's used to the noise at night so all's good.

Thanks again, I really appreciate all of your help.

Have a great day.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Welcome to MR.

Couple things,
Did you add RODI? It's a great time to start off.
Also, if you rinsed off live sand and discarded the water you lost any benefit of live sand.
It's ok, there are many who doubt that benefit. You could look around for another reefer and grab some of their sand to help seed yours. Adding cured live rock will also work.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

cjosephson66

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to MR.

Couple things,
Did you add RODI? It's a great time to start off.
Also, if you rinsed off live sand and discarded the water you lost any benefit of live sand.
It's ok, there are many who doubt that benefit. You could look around for another reefer and grab some of their sand to help seed yours. Adding cured live rock will also work.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Thanks for the info. I went to my local dealer and he hooked me up. I added the live rock on the second week and this week 2 damselfish. The tank is doing great and now I just have to wait for the live rock to cure.

Take care.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: