Jkedra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi...I got a new 55 gallon reef tank that is 5 weeks old and is fully cycled...I would just like to know where is the best place to put new corals in a new tank. (I understand that I would need to separate aggressive corals from peaceful ones)

knugenx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
308   0   0
start at the bottom and gradually move them up...also research the needs of each coral before buying them and see if they are compatible...this will save time, money, and headaches.

Jkedra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok I got Nova Extreme t5 lights, a fluval 405 and a protein skimmer thats up to 100 gallons. For the powerhead I got an aquaclear powerhead that is good for about 70 gallons. I plan on getting a different powerhead becuase I think that the one I currently have is just pathetic.

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
just so everyone knows the type of skimmer is a sea clone 100
Ok I got Nova Extreme t5 lights, a fluval 405 and a protein skimmer thats up to 100 gallons. For the powerhead I got an aquaclear powerhead that is good for about 70 gallons. I plan on getting a different powerhead becuase I think that the one I currently have is just pathetic.

guarda

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
here. credit to natclanwy on saltwaterfish.com

1dfbc93f.jpg

There was another, more simplistic chart that was pretty good. If I find it I'll post it.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
How many bulbs is the T5 fixture? and one of those powerheads won't cut it for acros. Look into the Koralia 2 and 3's for your tank and most likely you will need 2 of them. I run a MP10 in my tank and a Koralia 3 and my tank is only 3 feet long. Qlittle deeper and taller than your tank but I still have a good amount of flow.

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
he does have a skimmer. its a sea clone 100 but im still trying to teach him how to tune it because every time i go one video chat with him it doesn't look tuned at all and i never see bubbles. and i think part of the problem is that the water level is constantly changing since its hang on back with no auto top off.
Does that mean he doesn't have a skimmer?

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
yea but its still not constant throughout the day. it is never supposed the change. like in a sump/ refugium the water level will never change in the first chamber because it will immediately flow over the first baffle. since you dont have a sump you should get a float switch and leave like a bucket of water there so it will always stay at a constant level.
nah well actually...my water level is always constant....I figured out that I have to add a gallon and a half a day

Jkedra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well I cant.....you even saw my circumstances. I cant have a sump in my cabinet...First of all its a media cabinet (I reinforced it so the weight of the tank wont be a problem). Then, I cant have a sump because the water will evaporate, and the cabinets will get soft......the last thing I want is my tank to collapse

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
im not saying get a sump i said auto top off. which can be a capped bucket which wont evaporate. and the float switch will be in the main tank and a little pump that brings it up
Well I cant.....you even saw my circumstances. I cant have a sump in my cabinet...First of all its a media cabinet (I reinforced it so the weight of the tank wont be a problem). Then, I cant have a sump because the water will evaporate, and the cabinets will get soft......the last thing I want is my tank to collapse

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
a closed bucket? how could that not work. and evaporation wont really break the stand. everyone has sumps under there tank and you never see them collapsing. now even better that you reinforced it its definity not going to fall. and its a closed bucket with no evaporation so how could that ruin the stand.
omg.......even in a bucket....Just trust me...it will not work

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
there enough space. even a little bucket will do then you fill that up every day. that way you have a constant water level for you skimmer because even evaporation for an hour can effect it. just use like a 2 or 3 gallon food container or something. it will make the skimmer so much more eficient
I dont even have space in my under cabinet...its simply physically impossible

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: