Rating - 100%
10   0   0
A friend of mine is battleing a rather substantial apthasia problem in his 28 gal nano cube. He is going through a bottle of Apthasia X a week and making no progress. Peppermint shrimp also have had no effect.

He is considering breaking down and starting over with new rock and sand.

I researched it and recommended trying Berghia Nudibranch....anyone have any experience with them???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Where the Peppermint Shrimp from the caribbean? There are several types of peppermint shrimp but only the ones from Florida and Haiti eat aiptasia. Also some shady LFS will sell camel shrimp as peppermints.

daisy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hey- sorry about the aptasai problem, but I would not go the nudibranch route. Sometimes peppermints work - depends on the peppermints. I have had ones that ate all the aptasia, and I have had ones that would not touch them. The only solution I've ever had that really worked was copperband butterfly fish, but even they are hit or miss, because sometimes you get one that won't eat anything but aptasia, and then they starve after eating all of them, and sometimes you get one that won't touch them (and either eats food and you're fine, or refuses to eat and dies in your tank)... And the thing is that that tank is a bit small for a copperband butterfly.

One thing I did that worked on the really large ones is to inject them with a solution of really hot concentrated kalkwasser. The problem is that you can't get them all this way.

I'd say peppermints are the best way to go considering the size of the tank - get a bunch of them and underfeed the tank as much as possible so that they are forced to graze on aptasia instead of relying on the food the fish are eating.

Good luck!

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Thanks everyone for the imput. I have heard about the filefish and copperband butterfly...and Im gonna recommend them to him. He is kind of limited because of the size of the tank though to make them permanent residents.

And I think he is fed up with trying to inject them...he's been doing that for about 2 months now and cant reach most of them anyway.

createdlight

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone ever heard of zapping them with electricty?
i don't know what the rules are for linking, so i wont link.
but i just read this cool article on this diy door bell ballast setup,
seems cool

coralnut99

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 28G is way too small for a copperband. You also have to get the right filefish species. Either will be hit or miss, will limit what corals you can have, and will be a bear to get out of the tank. Also if they croak in a 28G behind a pile of rocks, you'll see a nutrient spike. In my experience the key to getting true peppermints to eat them is to underfeed the tank for a short period. An exposion in aptasia sometimes goes hand in hand with a well-fed tank. If the shrimp find excess pellets, etc. they will go for that first.

Rating - 100%
164   0   0

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: