Rating - 100%
15   0   0
The actinic lights turned on this morning, and i looked at the tank as usual, everything looked healthy, but something has been eating at the clam. I forgot to turn on the moonlights last night, so the tank was completely dark throughout the night. Tank inhabitants are Hippo Tang, Purple Tang, Niger Trigger, Mandarin Goby, Fire Shrimp, and 2 Sally Light Foot Crabs, various other snails. Could any of these possibly be the culpriate? The clam has been in the tank for about a month now, with no prior incident. I have also recently trapped and caught a 4" Mantis Shrimp. Is there a possibility that there could be some other unsavory hitchhikers in my tank? What are your thoughts on taking all of the rock out of the tank, presently covered nicely in coraline algea, and curing the rock, removing any and all unwanted hitchhikers? How would i proceed to do this? Any and all insight and help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Without knowing alot more about your setup, I would say the suspects of whats listed would be either the crabs or the trigger! Kinda need to know what your setup consists of ( lighting, filtration and such) and how long its been up and running. Also what are your water params?

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I just finished checking the water. All of the parameters are perfect. Tank as follows: 90G AGA RR, Two 8 bulb T5 brand new Giesemann bulbs (thanks Russ) 200 +/- live rock, 40G breeder, sump/refugium 16 1/2" x 18" Coralife 125 protein skimmer (I know, upgrading to Reef Octopus). Red Sea Wave Maker with 4 Koralia power heads ( 2 - 1400's, & 2 - 750's ) 7" filter sock, T5 lighting for refugium, 8"-10" sand bed in refugium with detravore kit without brittle worms, Mangroves, and Cheato as well as 30-40 pounds of live rock in refugium.

Sent from my EVO using Reefs

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I look at my tank very often and I am very meticulous about water parameters, changes, etc... Up until this morning the clam has looked very healthy, with no signs of stress prior to this morning. Also, I forgot to mention that I have a "Two Little Fishes" Phosban reactor 550.

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
i would interrogate the trigger and the crabs. however, if the clam is dying, every1 would be a suspect.
either way, to save the clam, take it out.

btw: show us some pics of the clam would help.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
ad9c8a7e-4295-5572.jpg

nittinid

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SEEING HOW THE CLAM IN POSITIONED...I WOULD SAY ITS PROBABLY THE TRIGGER...ID HAVE TO AGREE WITH "LONG ISLAND ANDY" IF IT CANT CLOSE(DEFEND ITSELF) ITS PROBABLY ON THE WAY OUT....ID ISOLATE HIM. TRIGGERS ARE NOT REALLY REEF SAFE AND THE ONES THAT ARE; CROSSHATCH AS WELL AS THE PINK TAIL TRIGGERS WONT PICK AT YOUR CORALS...BUT THEY WILL EAT INVERTS!!(SHRIMP SNAILS) SORRY FOR WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR CLAM...I.M.O ITS A 70/30 CHANCE THAT THE TRIGGER...IS THE PURPLE TRAITOR....:)

iMa bE 90 YEaRs OLd DoIn a 30% wAtEr ChAnGe...cUz IMa bE rOcKiN TilL I dIe...

90 GALLON DISPLAY
IN DISPLAY;
110 LBS FIJI LIVE ROCK
90 LBS LIVE SAND
(3) 50GPH POWERHEADS
30 GALLON SUMP
IN SUMP;
40 LBS LIVE SAND
15 LBS FIJI LIVE ROCK.
PHOSBAN REACTOR
10 WATT U.V STEROLIZER (DONT HAVE AN ICK PROB)BUT JUST IN CASE
CORALIFE SUPER SKIMMER(150) IT WORKS FOR ME!
(ELITE) 200 WATT HEATER
LIGHTING;
T5 NOVAS (6 BULB FIXTURES)
48 INCH MARINLAND L.E.D REEF LIGHTING(NEW)
LIGHTING ;
IN SUMP
30-90 WATT FLOOD LAMP
L.S...SAILFIN TANG,YELLOW TANG AND A SMALL CLEAN UP CREW...4 NOW..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: