Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
i just want to know if this is normal. ive been running this reef octopus xp2000 since Christmas and its been working great. last night when i finish rebuilding my system i have it raised so only 7 inches of it is in the water and its supposed to be 6-10 and its just going crazy. its making so many bubbles that i had to open the little port for the skimmate to drain for like a holding container but its been running all night with the valve completely open and its just like overflowing the cup and draining out of that little plug. is this like a new break in period or something like tank because it never happened the first time. could it also be from the crazy amount of dust from kicking up all the sand from filling it because there was like 1 inch visibility now its almost crystal clear and the dusty stuff is getting all over the neck of the skimmer.

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
yea and the actual water level in the skimmer is not even high with the valve all the way open its not even close to the neck of the skimmer. its just the bubbles there soooo big and just coming out of the top and it wont stop. tomorrow will be the 2nd day of continuous bubbles.

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Are you cycling your tank again? If so I would leave it off for the duration of the cycle and run a filter sock to catch the sediment for now. I have the XP-2000 cone, when I change the filter sock it will go nuts and the other stuff it doesn't care for is that coral epoxy (the stick type) also used to glue LR together.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
still run skimmer if cycling, is the output of the skimmer above or below the water line ? how about a picture, do you know how to dial the skimmer or where the bubble break point should be ?

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
the water level is below the output and i had this thing running perfectly fine and skimming amazingly and i just put it in the new setup and bubbles just wont stop coming out of the top and the valve is wide open so theres absolutely no restriction of the water level its just so low its just the bubbles are being made so much its coming from the top and in the old sump the water level was almost completly covering the output and it still worked.
P1010179.jpg

still run skimmer if cycling, is the output of the skimmer above or below the water line ? how about a picture, do you know how to dial the skimmer or where the bubble break point should be ?

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0

It's best to leave the skimmer off while cycling the tank, running it takes away the disolved organics the bacteria need to multiply, in turn prolonging the cycle.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
personally i have always ran skimmer during cycle on all 7 or so of my tanks, he isnt starting out with dead rock, he did a quick tear down and set back up. you still want to pull waste out of the system and if there is die off you want it skimmed out, your not pulling enough good bacteria to have that as a reason to not use it. also what is the actualy depth skimmer would sit in if it wasnt on the stand ? and i dont see how or where it is overflowing, you dont even have bubbles going into the neck

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
look closely at the neck for bubbles because it was going crazy. but its working now. i guess it just needed a little break in period to the new tank and all the kicked up sand and silicone from the new sump.
personally i have always ran skimmer during cycle on all 7 or so of my tanks, he isnt starting out with dead rock, he did a quick tear down and set back up. you still want to pull waste out of the system and if there is die off you want it skimmed out, your not pulling enough good bacteria to have that as a reason to not use it. also what is the actualy depth skimmer would sit in if it wasnt on the stand ? and i dont see how or where it is overflowing, you dont even have bubbles going into the neck

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0

I see what you're saying, so the most he should see is a mini cycle providing he kept the LR at temp and the water circulating.

The reason I said leave it off is the waste would help the bacteria to multiply if the tank is being cycled from scratch which I thought it was. Anthony could answer that question.

Last edited:

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
no i bought it as base rock when i first started originally and then it cycled and now when i rebuilt it i had it in storage containers with saltwater and heaters and powerheads. its just not live like from the ocean life so i have to seed it with all those natural creatures. im gonna order a 20 pounds of figi rock from live aquaria to seed it because they fly it in directly from figi when you order it.
This is new base rock?

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Base rock becomes live rock without adding anything additional to it, you usually seed the tank with some live rock to kick start the cycle by introducing nitrifying bacteria the tank didn't have. Live rock = Home for nitrifying bacteria. If your tank is cycled you don't have to add anything unless you want coralline algae which usually has to be brought into the tank if your existing LR doesn't have any.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: