Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
ok so as most of you may know im rebuilding my tank. but im not sure what i should do this time, should i qt all of my new fish to see if they are ok and then if they dont have ich put them in the dt and if they do medicate them or should i medicate all new fish or should i just not qt and let ich live in the sytem but control it with ozone which supposedly works better then a uv sterilizer and cleaner shrimp and keeping a good immune system. i know ive been told many different things of what i should do but now i just decided to make a dedicated thread to get everyones opinion.

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
yes im talking about all fish, the place i buy from has them medicated before sold but he recommends i qt anyway but i just hate doing that so i know alot of people have ich in the system and just control it.
Which fish are you talking about? The ones reefs4life is holding for you, I think should be fine. Any NEW fish that you buy should be qt'd before you put them in with any exsisting fish.

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
also another question if someone can answer this also. if i ever do happen to get ich in the system if i can keep the fish in perfect health for 3 months that way ich cant attach to them would this eradicate the ich from the tank since the colonies of ich will starve?

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
ok well thats great news then so i wont qt them il just slowly drip acclimate them. just new fish im afraid of getting ich again even though they are medicated if ich ever gets into the tank if i can keep them healthy for 3 months without getting ich would the ich die off and i wont have to worry about it anymore?
arent your fish at fortuanto's house? ive seen those fish over 10 times and not 1 sign of ich or anything wrong with them.

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
... just new fish im afraid of getting ich again even though they are medicated if ich ever gets into the tank if i can keep them healthy for 3 months without getting ich would the ich die off and i wont have to worry about it anymore?

AJ,

Patience :knockedou Unfortunately your going to have to QT everytime you want to add a new fish. It really is the only way to ensure a catastrophe in the tank doesn't happen.

Steven

tentacles

cephalopod enthusiast
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
How many times are you going to ask this question? Buy a fish, stick it in QT for 2-3 weeks and just look at it. If it starts to show signs of parasites while it's in QT, treat it. If not, keep on looking at it, then put it in your main tank and look at it there.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
How many times are you going to ask this question? Buy a fish, stick it in QT for 2-3 weeks and just look at it. If it starts to show signs of parasites while it's in QT, treat it. If not, keep on looking at it, then put it in your main tank and look at it there.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

This no matter what store or person says or does.. no matter what always do that.

I have a few good friends in the hobby and a few times a year we swap a few corals or whatever. I qt thier stuff and they qt mine. it is both a matter of taking person pride in what you do, and eliminating that nagging question in your head.

qt is for more then just ich, and you have to qt corals also. ich, brook, marine velvet, redbugs ,flatworms, gill flukes. the list goes on and on, and some thing.. go in the who knows what just wiped my system section, qt for all of it.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
This no matter what store or person says or does.. no matter what always do that.

I have a few good friends in the hobby and a few times a year we swap a few corals or whatever. I qt thier stuff and they qt mine. it is both a matter of taking person pride in what you do, and eliminating that nagging question in your head.

qt is for more then just ich, and you have to qt corals also. ich, brook, marine velvet, redbugs ,flatworms, gill flukes. the list goes on and on, and some thing.. go in the who knows what just wiped my system section, qt for all of it.

+1

You need to understand that just moving your fish back from where they are now is stressful to a fish, being caught, bagged, transported, light in dark, back into light, caught again, etc...
The same as getting them from a store.

I also agree fully that there is NO good sense in medicating a fish that has nothing wrong with it. Are you aware that copper is considered a carcinogen?

And yes, corals need to be QT'd too. They can easily introduce Ich into your tank.

I would also suggest you take some time to read about Ozone before you add it to your fish tank. You'd be better off getting a UV light and staying away from Ozone IMO.
http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
But the fish that Fortunato is holding went from my tank with hypo for about 6 weeks to his tank with no ich and now back so do I really need to qt them? And for coral I have to qt them for 3 months to make sure they don't have ich or how long?

+1

You need to understand that just moving your fish back from where they are now is stressful to a fish, being caught, bagged, transported, light in dark, back into light, caught again, etc...
The same as getting them from a store.

I also agree fully that there is NO good sense in medicating a fish that has nothing wrong with it. Are you aware that copper is considered a carcinogen?

And yes, corals need to be QT'd too. They can easily introduce Ich into your tank.

I would also suggest you take some time to read about Ozone before you add it to your fish tank. You'd be better off getting a UV light and staying away from Ozone IMO.
http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html

Anthony.Luciano710

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
yea i dont want to get into the whole ozone thing it is waaayyyy over reacted. everyone says oh it will kill you or your fish and stuff. i ran it with no carbon for 3 months nothing in the sump or tank feels "brittle" the fish were fine the coral was fine. yea you can smell it. if you go close but its not harmful unless you breathe it directly. the o3 omocules break down into o2 in half a second so ozone is really just giving the tank a very high oxygen level which prevents those phosphate bonds that jkedra had in a previous post and there even was a test a few months back with keeping sps in a tank with ozone and very high phosphates and it was in perfect health because of the high orp level. also if you think about it they sell 600mg/h ozone units to cleanse a house with no harm to humans or pets... this is only 100mg/h for a fish tank so its not really gonna kill me unless i sleep with the ozone tube up my nostril.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
this is only 100mg/h for a fish tank so its not really gonna kill me unless i sleep with the ozone tube up my nostril.
If you want, we can all chip in to buy you (and a friend) the 'nostril' tubing! :sgrin:

BTW, I'm starting a new thread about QTing new members...allows us to observe them before releasing them into the main forums!
:spin:

Jkedra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
And of course no one knew the answer to that PO4 question I posted a while ago...but as for the ozone, everyone goes crazy saying it can kill you. He has a reefkeeper elite. If anything were to go wrong, don't you think the reefkeeper would do something like stop the ozone system?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
And of course no one knew the answer to that PO4 question I posted a while ago...but as for the ozone, everyone goes crazy saying it can kill you. He has a reefkeeper elite. If anything were to go wrong, don't you think the reefkeeper would do something like stop the ozone system?

What is with you and the thread hijacking, you keep mentioning this phosphate question...
FYI... I wrote to our resident Chemist and asked him to answer that post - so you can get ACCURATE information about why adding a simple ion to our tanks won't get rid of phosphate issues - OR everyone would be doing it - don't you think? :)
...and if you sincerely wanted an accurate answer you should have posted the question in the CHEMISTRY Forum where people who understand Chemistry the best would have seen it instead of General Discussion where you gave it a 7 hour window to be seen. Unfortunately not everyone who visits here is on during a 7 hour period. You'd posted you prior phosphate question in the proper forum, not sure why you erred when you posted that last one..
(no need to re-post, as mentioned he will answer it when he visits us again soon)

In regard to your comments about Ozone. No, his RK would NOT know when there is an issue with the Ozone that the MEMBER might be breathing in as it is EXTREMELY doubtful that he will have a probe examining the AIR in whatever room his tank is in.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: